Siroun Meguerditchian
Advanced Table Service III
Restaurant Review Posting
Please publish your paper here
on or before day 7 of the cycle
Advanced Table Service III
Restaurant Review Posting
Please publish your paper here
on or before day 7 of the cycle
50 comments:
Erin Landro
2/18/08
Table Service III
Siroun Meguerditchian
Restaurant Review: Le Cirque
For our lunch trip, the class went to Le Cirque; a high end restaurant which is located on 58th Street in New York City.
Reservations were made for 1pm. Though the class was late on arrival, the host, (who was very well coifed in a suit and tie), promptly greeted us and we were seated as soon as our coats were hung and we were all accounted for. The women were seated first as our chairs were pulled out for us, which caused all the ladies to be at the first table. To even things out I excused myself and sat at the second table. The rounded dining room was average sized, and its tall ceilings were draped with fabric as to resemble a circus. Mirrors were around the wall, and in the center of the dining room was a pillar of shelves which was the home of many flowers and decorative monkeys.
Our server quickly came to the table and took our water orders. As we were looking through the menu, the server offered the option of having red or white wine, and took those orders as well. Both came to the table very quickly and were served to us properly.
Because we had a limited lunch menu, there were no specials recited to us. When our food orders were taken for our table, I noticed that the waiter would have stayed in one place and taken the orders all at once had it not been for Mrs. M, who prompted him to start taking the ladies order individually. The dessert order was also taken at the same time the rest of the order was taken.
As we were waiting for our appetizer to arrive, we started on the rolls which were placed in a basket in the center of the table. Butter was also communal; there were two plates on either side of the table. I noticed that when were finished with one of the butters, it was cleared but never brought back. Before the appetizer arrived we were given broth spoons. When the appetizer arrived, the food was given to us by what we had ordered. Everyone who ordered shrimp got their shrimp at once, and those who got the tortelli got them at the same time.
The food was presented beautifully, and the portion was just right. I had the Australian shrimp with Asian mixed vegetables in a coconut milk-lemongrass broth. I first noticed that both shrimp were a little overcooked. I also would have liked to know which vegetables I was eating, but they were cut so small and cooked at the same time, so they looked and tasted the same. The broth was perfect; it was sweet and mellow and did not over-power the shrimp at all. Pepper was not offered as it was already on the table.
After our appetizers were cleared from the right side, our water and wine glasses were refilled. The server then went around and placed all of the correct silverware which corresponded with what we had ordered. Those who ordered the salmon or branzino were given fish forks and knives. The people who ordered chicken were given a new knife. Everyone took a bathroom break at this point, because we told the restrooms were very unique. When I returned to the table, I noticed that my napkin had been re-folded and put on its place, and I was assisted with my chair.
The entrée was given to us in the same manner as the appetizer and was served to us on our left sides. I ordered the branzino, and the mariniére for the fish was served tableside. Hushpuppies were a side dish to the people who ordered the branzino. However, they skipped Renato and he didn’t receive any. The branzino was cooked perfectly and was very tender. The accompanying mariniére was very rich and buttery. The fennel marmalade, which I expecting to have a strong anise flavor, was the contrary. It was sweet, and complimented the fish very well.
When everyone was finished eating, our plates were cleared. Our tables were cleared, but the salt and pepper shakers still remained on the table. Our places were then crumbed. The server then took our tea and coffee orders, but did not ask the ladies first. Coffee and dessert were brought to us in no particular order. On the menu, the Chocolate Duo is described as being a chocolate fondant with white chocolate sorbet. When the Chocolate Duo arrived at the table, it was not as it was described. Everyone’s sorbet was a different flavor. Karolis received mango sorbet to accompany his chocolate soufflé.
After dessert we were shown the kitchen, then eventually we made our way out of the restaurant. As we left we were thanked and asked to return. Overall, I found the food and the service exemplary. The dining room, as well as the rest of the restaurant, was beautifully decorated. When compared with WD~50, the review I handed in, I’d have to say that they are somewhat different.
I read that the food and service at WD~50 are wonderful. However the dining room in WD~50 is a bit cramped while I found the dining room in Le Cirque to be comfortable. I believe that the food style differs. Le Cirque had more of a classical food taste and presentation with French influences while WD~50 specializes in a gastronomic and technical food taste and presentation with Asian influences, with food pairings that you would never expect. I also read that the ambience at WD~50 is very plain and dull, and the centerpieces are laughable. I enjoyed the ambience and the décor of Le Cirque very much.
Renato Sison
19 February 2008
Advanced Table Service
Mrs. Siroun Meguerditchian
Restaurant Review Project
Recently, our class had the pleasure of having lunch at Le Cirque restaurant in New York City. Although it was a fiasco getting there, the tortelli and chocolate soufflé made up for the slight discomfort of walking ten city blocks in the snow.
Our reservations were for 1 p.m. but we arrived a little later. The restaurant is located on the first floor of the Bloomberg building, right in the middle of a stone courtyard. Despite our tardiness, we were still greeted with a smile from the more than polite host. After we checked our coats in, we were all seated at two round tables. The main dining room was very open with tall ceilings, gold lights, and had a tiered centerpiece consisting of plants, oils, and monkeys. The ladies were sat first, of course, having their seats pulled out for them but I did not see the host place their napkins on their laps. Right when we sat down, I noticed that neither of our tables had show plates, yet all other tables received them. Also, there were no spoons on the table and my setting was slightly crooked.
After we were seated, we were asked what kind of water we wanted, followed by what wine; a Sonoma 2004 Merlot or an Ardeche 2005 Chardonnay. We were given the menu for the Winter’s Restaurant Week so we did not receive a wine list. The way the bread was presented to us was in a basket accompanied with two plates of butter. I did not eat the bread, but it was most likely served cold.
Our server came to each of our sides to take our orders. At our table, we had one open seat, and I noticed that the setting was never taken away. Before our appetizers came out, we were given broth spoons. When the appetizers came out they were presented to us from the right side instead of the left. I ordered the tortelli stuffed with guanciale, which is unsmoked Italian bacon made from pig’s cheeks, and tomato with shaved pecorino. The presentation was very simple but looked beautiful. Each of my three tortellis was identical in shape and size. The sauce was very robust and it went beautifully with the tortelli.
After our appetizers were cleared, the appropriate silverware was given to the people ordering fish and the soiled silverware was taken away. Also, new knives were given to the people eating chicken. As our entrees came out, they were once again served to my right. I ordered the Branzino with fennel marmalade with dill. I wasn’t too thrilled about this dish, but it did have a nice presentation and everything worked well together. Also, I believe all the people that ordered the Branzino received corn fritters; everyone except me.
After we finished our entrees, they were taken away with everything else on the table except our water glasses and salt and pepper. Our table was then vigorously crumbed and our coffees and desserts came out. I ordered the Chocolate Duo along with the majority of the table. Although it was described as chocolate fondant and white chocolate sorbet, some received different items. One thing, I don’t think anyone received chocolate fondant, instead a souffle, and one of us received mango sorbet. Despite that, the chocolate soufflé was exquisite. It was fluffy, moist, warm and everything a sweet soufflé should be. Also, during our dessert course, we received a platter of petits four.
Throughout the lunch my water reached empty twice and being the only person at the table with white wine, I had to wait awhile for refills and once being asked what kind of wine. The service was good, but not great. The food was excellent and well prepared.
Overall, I think my experience at Le Cirque was great. The food was excellent, however I think the service was a bit lacking. If I were to compare Le Cirque with Le Bernardin, the restaurant I found a review for, I believe that both places put forth the same effort when preparing their food. I read that the décor and ambiance in Le Bernardin was beautiful and dramatic, and I found ambiance in Le Cirque to mirror that. Le Bernardin has a Japanese/Asian influence in their cuisine, while Le Cirque sticks with a classic French influence. The price ranges for their meals are also on the same level. In the end, I would recommend all to experience the fine dining at Le Cirque.
Le Cirque
By: Sarah Maharaj
Table Service III
February 13, 2008
I was extremely excited because it my first time going to Le Cirque. Le Cirque can be found in Manhattan, New York I arrived at the restaurant, I looked around and was just in amazement of how this restaurant was designed. To the right of me was a glass bar area and to the left, was the fine-looking dining room which seats 95 people.
As soon as I was seated at my table, we were immediately given water by the waiter and were asked if we would like to have some wine. We were given a little time to decide what we will have. The waiter came back to take our food orders. He started with the ladies first and followed with the gentlemen after.
For the appetizer, I ordered the tortelli, which was stuffed with guanciale (Italian cured pork) and tomato with shaved pecorino. I noticed that on the side of the bowl, was the restaurants’ name.
Before our entrée was served, we were given the appropriate utensils. My table was replenished with water, wine, and bread, although, they did take a little long receiving bread. For the entrée, I had the salmon with fresh herbs, spaghetti squash, and lemon butter.
I took a bite of the salmon and some of the spaghetti squash together. The salmon was cooked perfectly and seasoned very well. I think that the texture of salmon and softness of the spaghetti squash was a good compliment to each other.
Just before dessert was served, the waiter crumbed our table. For dessert I had crème brûlée. After I finished my dessert, I noticed that the recipe was printed on the bottom of the dish, which I thought was interesting.
I have to say that I was well taken care of in Le Cirque. I would have to rate Le Cirque a three out of five. The service was great as well as the food. There are several successful restaurants in New York, but Le Cirque has to be hands down, one of the best restaurants I went to.
There are many differences between Le Cirque and The Terrace. First of all, Le Cirque serves a variety of dishes including Italian and French cuisine. The Terrace, located in Hamden Connecticut, serves Thai cuisine. Thai cuisine has a bit more spice added to their dishes.
From what I read about The Terrace inside the restaurant is a small room with some tables, the curry seems to have a good contrast with the food. The price range in The Terrace is less expensive than Le Cirque.
Between these two restaurants, I would like to try the food at the Terrace and would also like to attend Le Cirque again.
Franchone L. Holloman
Table Service III
Mrs. M
September 29, 2008
The Highlawn Pavillion
It is noon and also the day of our Table Service III class trip. We all pile into the HCCC van and head for the Highlawn Pavilion Eagle Rock Reservation, a classy American restaurant set on a hill with large windows robed in elegant drapes offering a majestic view of New York City. This secluded lunch and dinner getaway is complete with a well developed garden, which we took advantage of for picture taking, valet service and a dress code for its patrons.
When we arrive Mrs. M notifies the host that we have already made reservations and he kindly points us in the direction of our table. No later than seconds after we sit, bread and butter garnished with rosemary appear on the table and soon after our water glasses are filled.
The server is pleasant and happy to see Mrs. M once again with yet another crowd of anxious culinarians in training. Knowing that we most certainly would be critiquing his every move, our server is evidently conscious of his service, which throughout the meal is pleasant and welcoming. However, he is particularly overloaded with other tables at the beginning of our meal and is “understandably absent and less attentive than usual” as Mrs. M points out. Thankfully his Commis De Rang fills the void and proves to be quite conscious of the unfair demands on his Chef De Rang and he graciously yet silently steps in.
Despite the challenge, our service appears seamless, not rushed, and well executed. Regretfully, the wine service is rushed: as soon as Mrs. M’s approval of the wine is given, our server distributes both white (Schmitt Sohne Riesling 2006 Kabinelt) and red (Bordeaux Appelation Bordeaux Controlee) in one fell swoop around the table disregarding the ladies firs, gentlemen last, host last (if a gentleman) rule. Yet we all silently make a note and await another mistake to journal on our stick-it pads.
As for the food, we all enjoy our appetizers but our entrees leave something to be desired. We collectively agree to assume the chef is absent and that this is not one of the Highlawn’s best days. I had the Mahi Mahi. Other items ordered were pate, risotto, filet mignon, seafood platters and other reasonably priced items which were well plated but not as tasty as we had imagined in a star restaurant such as this one. Dessert on the other hand is what helps us to leave with good thoughts of the Highlawn from fruit plates to flourless chocolate cake, layered desserts called napoleons, and warm apple tarts, we make plans of bringing our families to this regal, spacious and relaxing place to maybe try the dinner menu as we pile back into the HCCC van contented with a well spent afternoon.
In comparison to my previous review, the only difference I can spot as both places get great reviews is that I may have had a better first time experience at Matsugen, an authentic Japanese place, simply because the cuisine and the atmosphere would be unfamiliar and intriguing.
Yosra M. Abdalla
September 29, 2008
Table Service III
Siroun Meguerditchian
Highlawn Pavilion Review
After hearing raving reviews on the Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, New Jersey, I was honestly disappointed in the experience. I will admit the ambiance was very comforting and the eagle’s eye view of Manhattan is breath taking. The timing in service was also exceptional. Now for the negative, unfortunately, my only course that I truly enjoyed was my appetizer. It was smoked salmon with a roasted onion sauce and capers. I was blown away by the freshness of it and its lack of a fishy smell. Too bad appetizers come first in the order of service because for my entrée I had the most bland crab cakes I have ever tasted in my life. Not to forget to mention that there was barely any breading on the outside to prevent the meat from burning…which it did. My fellow classmate Samantha had the same dish and had undercooked shrimp while mine were almost rubbery from carry-over cooking. Talk about inconsistency! For my dessert I had the trilogy of crème brûlée which included mocha, vanilla, and raspberry miniature versions of crème brûlée. The mocha one was more like a mousse while the vanilla one was borderline a milkshake. My class and I sipped on Riesling Kabinett 2006 white wine which is a very sweet and fruity wine that can easily be consumed by new wine drinkers. For the red, we had the Reserve Lafitte Rotischild 2006 which was also very good. Both bottles of wine were opened mid-air instead of on a steady surface regardless of the lack of space. What would happen if it slipped and it ended up spilling all over a guest?
As far as service and things I was able to notice there were a few things that immediately grabbed my attention. The first of these would be the silverware face down on the table which was later explained to me that in Europe it is offensive to eat with the prongs of a fork facing upwards. I did not feel that this is necessary for the restaurant to do considering it is located in America. “When in Rome, do as the Romans” right?
The one mistake our server repeatedly made was serving gentlemen before women. I understand that we were a large group but I felt offended. It would have meant even more to me if he did serve all of us ladies first because it would show that he was not trying to rush our service.
Another area I feel the restaurant was slacking in would be the wine glasses. Not only were the tall glasses used for white wine, but also for red wine, and even the soda a few classmates and I ordered (that were never even refilled). After my classmates Cindy and Sandra excused themselves to use the restroom, our server visited our table and did not even take the one minute out of his time to re-fold their napkins. His actions really showed that he was in a rush and did not care. I can not even begin to count how many times he crossed and served things from the wrong hand. Finally, the cups for the coffee were all at three o’clock instead of five.
Despite my negative approach to reviewing the Highlawn Pavilion, I actually would consider visiting it again in a smaller party to see if it would make a difference in the quality of service or not. The prices for lunch were actually reasonable but I would not think about going there for dinner to risk being disappointed in both service and my wallet.
Paul Castro
A Taste of Highlawn Pavilion
It was the 23rd day of September when our class was set to have lunch at the Highlawn Pavilion. I was excited because of the fact that I am going to three star rated restaurant, which has brilliant food and excellence in service.
Highlawn Pavilion has its advantage in location, not to mention that it is inside a park, it is also overlooking the city of New York and the scene is actually breath taking. The restaurant looks like a plain plantation house but once we stepped in, it seems like we were in an Old Italian mansion. The whole restaurant has the rustic look which adds the illusion of making the place antique. I noticed a display of variety of branded alcohol and wine. I also noticed that they displayed a portion of their kitchen, which sent out a message that the kitchen staff is confident enough to show what’s going on inside. Upon entering the dining room, we were greeted by the host with a glimpse and a quick “hi hello”. The dining room has a lot of visitors at that time, even though we went there in a middle of the week.
The bus boy started pouring the water once we sat on the table, then it is followed by bread baskets and butter. Ms. M asked for two table wines, a Bordeaux wine named Barons De Rothschild and a Riesling named Schmitt Söhne. The server came with the white wine in a bucket, showing Ms. M the label of the bottle and gave her a little amount on her goblet. Then he showed the red wine with the same procedure. I noticed some mistakes the server made while giving us wine. He didn’t turn the bottle when he is done pouring. And the server offers to pour the red wine when it is not properly aired. The white wine is fairly sweet but what stricken me is the red wine because it has a smooth taste on it.
We had some fabulous appetizers like fresh mozzarella with tomatoes and vinaigrette reduction, a hot and hard to eat fresh onion soup, classic shrimp cocktail and a tray of seafood. I’m not quite satisfied with the shrimp cocktail that I had because it’s not fancy at all, there is nothing special and it has the regular cocktail sauce taste. On the other hand, the seafood tray and the fresh mozzarella with tomatoes were a hit.
For my main course, I had the fillet mignon with steamed green beans, roasted fingerling potatoes and Bordeaux sauce. I didn’t make a mistake in picking the fillet mignon because it is done just what I asked for. The meat is soft and not chewy, I like the way they char the sides for texture. The Bordeaux sauce complements the fillet mignon well, and that gives my meal a little “oomph”. The roasted fingerling potatoes were okay, I don’t like the beans that much because it is a little bit salty. Unlike my indulgence with my main course, I heard an opposite reaction from my classmates. They said that the risotto is bland, the inconsistency of cooking the shrimp in the duo of shrimp crab cakes, and some fish entrees were not that good.
Although we didn’t have the luck in finding satisfaction in our main course, we were rescued by their fantastic desserts. I had the napoleon of raspberry with Chantilly cream and cinnamon ice cream. The combination of the napoleon and ice cream is so good. Plus the plating decoration is well performed. Some nice desserts are the apple tart with crème fraiche, trio of crème brule, and the chocolate fudge sundae. At that time of our meal, we all agreed that they have fantastic desserts.
I will give credit for our servers because although they have more than four tables in their station on top of our group, they still managed to execute properly. The busser made a continuous refill in our goblets and also helped the server in some way. I appreciate the server when he pulled a gueridon with our meal; it just shows that he wanted our food to be at the table at the same time.
I am quite disappointed with what I experienced at Highlawn Pavilion. The inconsistencies in cooking techniques were not acceptable. They should train their servers in wine service because of the fact they serve a lot of wines, I think it’s important so the servers could sell more wines. On top of their flaws, I will still recommend Highlawn Pavilion because the place has an amazing scene of the city of New York and its décor is elegant.
Highlawn Pavilion
Eagle Rock Reservation, West Orange, New Jersey; (973) 731-3463
HOURS: Lunch from noon to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Friday from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m., and Sunday’s from 5:30 to 9 p.m.
RESERVATIONS: 2 to 3 days prior dining.
A Pleasant Time on a Highlawn
On a gorgeous Tuesday afternoon, my classmates and I visited an upscale establishment for lunch. As we entered the property, there were lots of trees and grass for us to gaze at. There was a beautiful view of New York City that complimented the outside of the rest- aurant. The restaurant is located on a hill in West Orange, NJ and its name is Highlawn Pavillion.
Upon entering the lobby, I noticed there were high ceilings and its décor was of a rustic design. It had a nice little waterfall on a wall and wine display showcases that were interesting to view.
When we approached the dining area, we were greeted by the host that guided us to our table. Our water glasses were filled almost immediately after we sat down. Then, bread and butter had been placed on the table. The chef de rang greeted us and handed us menus. The host of our table viewed the wine menu and ordered wine while we were deciding on what to order for our first and second courses. I had the pleasure of tasting Schmitt Sohne Resling Kabinett (2006) and Barons de Rothschild Bordeaux Lafite (2006), which are a white and a red wine.
Though the wines were each very tasteful, they were served incorrectly because males were served before all the females were served. Next, we had our Soup/Salad and Entrees served and after completing them, the table was cleared and crumbed. The chef de rang distributed coffee/tea, dessert, and dessert wine menus for us to request an order.
In conclusion, after having dessert, our table had been cleared and we had a brief conversation before leaving. My experience was very much appreciated and the servers were well mannered and groomed. I felt that there were a few major errors on the service aspect and the food was good, yet it could have been better. The food seemed as if it was cooked in a hurry and there was not much love added into it. The best part of my meal was the dessert and the view from inside the dining room viewing New York. Though I was not totally pleased with my experience on that visit, does not mean I would not want to revisit in the future because I felt the potential in the professionalism of the establishment.
Humbly submitted,
Tiffany M.
Cindy
Table Service III
Mrs. Meguerditchian
Highlawn Pavilion
I was extremely excited, as soon as I've heard that our class would have the opportunity to dine in a fine restaurant. At first we were debating whether we should go to Le Cirque restaurant in New York City or in Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, New Jersey. Both restaurants are outstanding for their quality of food and service. After some discussion, our class decided to go for Highlawn Pavilion.
We made lunch reservations at 1:00 p.m. and we arrived exactly 1p.m. Everyone were looking good wearing their semi formal attires for our lunch trip. As soon as we walked in the restaurant, we were promptly greeted by the host and lead us to our table. We were seated and the waiter poured our water glasses. The table setting was very elegant and silverwares were shining. The place was spectacular, there’s also a hint of old-fashioned decors. The view was breathtaking,it was built in the place where you can have a glance at the wonderful view of new york city. Also, a very unique idea of having a bird painted on the ceiling separately. As I was looking around I noticed that the place were dominated by business people and most likely high-class people.
After we were seated, the waiter handed us the menu. Our water were filled and the bread were placed on the table. Mrs. M. first ordered two bottles of wines, one white wine (Schmitt Sohne Riesling, 2006 Kabinett) and one red wine (Reserve specical Lafite Baron De Rothschud, Bordeaux, A.B.C 2006). The wine glasses were placed on the table. The waiter came back with the red wine first and showed to Mrs. M. the bottle showing the label. The waiter opened it like a professional. Although he was supposed to open it in the table, but he noticed that he didn’t have enough space, he opened the wine with his right hand while supporting with his left hand.. He poured Mrs. M. glass about an oz for taste and she was satisfied. He was about to pour the wine on everyone glasses but Mrs. M. stopped him and said will have it later. The red wine has to rest for 10 minutes before serving it and we we didn’t have our main course to go with the wine. He came back with the white wine doing the same process. He poured the wine starting from the gentleman than lady and Mrs. M. was the last for she was the host. Although, he was right pouring Mrs. M. last, he was supposed to start with the lady first before the gentleman. After he poured everybody's glasses he announced the soup of the day and the chef”s special and politely asked if we were ready to order. As soon as we were all already, he took my order and I noticed he was taking it on my right side which was supposedly on my left side. He took my appetizer first which was wild mushroom and leek soup. Then, my entree which was seared salmon with sauteed mix vegetables. After he was done taking everyones order, I noticed that he should have asked for our beverage orders before taking our food oders. Instead, my classmates had to ask for their beverage.
The timing was excellent, we didn’t wait too long for our appetizer. In a few minutes the waiter came with our appetizers and while he was serving the appetizer to everybody he mistakenly switched the orders of two people in our group. On the other hand, I noticed our water glasses were replenished time to time. The wild mushroom and leek soup that I had was excellent. As soon as everybody was finished, the waiter took the soiled dished, unused utensils and replaced with right utensils for the main course. Our entree came not long after, though Mrs. M. had to call on the waiter to pour the red wine which he should have done voluntarily. As soon as everyone was served with their entree, he politely said enjoy. As for my entree, I had seared salmon with sauteed mix vegetables which wasn’t bad except for the vegetables. The vegetables was cut too small that I couldn’t even tell what kind of vegetables I was eating. The salmon was well seasoned but it came to me a little bit dry. But overall I would say that it was enjoyable meal. After were all finished with our meal, everything except our glasses were removed. The waiter handed us the dessert menu and took our orders. I ordered the napoleon raspberries with chantily. Before our desserts came, the right utensils were placed on the table. I excused myself and walked around for bit to see if my napkin were folded but unfortanately it wasn’t folded. The dessert that I had was good, they used fresh raspberries which was very refreshing and the addition of cinnamon ice cream that made it really really good.
The place was spectacular, especially the view which gave me an awe. My overall experience wasn’t bad at all. Although, their service and food wasn’t excellent, and that everything was in a rush, but I was convinced that the waiter handled our table the best way he could while handling too many tables. But if I will have a chance to go back again at Highlawn Pavilion I will gladly go. Not only the waiters were very kind, the ambiance of the place was very soothing. And the view itself was enough for me to go back again.
Robyn Patterson
Table Service III
Mrs. M
October 28, 2008
Today I experienced the fine dinning of Porto Leggero in Jersey City NJ. It was an eventful day for me because I got the time mixed up as usual. I thought Mrs. M said meet at the school at 1 pm and she wanted us to meet at 12:15 pm, the reservations were for 1. If it wasn’t for Leslie I probably would have had to meet everyone at the restaurant. I tried to get to the school so I could walk to Journal Square with everyone else, but that didn’t happen because I couldn’t find a parking space. I finally did I met everyone at Journal Square where Mrs. M was purchasing the metro card for the train ride.
The minute we walked in the door we were asked if we had a reservation where Mrs. M informed her of the reservation and our coats were taken . We were seated then asked if we wanted to look at the wine list where Mrs. M looked at the list and ordered a red and white bottle of wine, when she was ordering she told the Sommelier that she wanted a white wine and he told her she was on the wrong page, she said what she wanted before she opened the list, I guess he was looking for the vin number, that’s why he told Mrs. M that it was the wrong wine. The red bottle was opened and left on the on the table to breath, then everyone got a chance to taste the white. I thought that it was quiet tasty I enjoyed it.
The bread and butter were bought to the table then we were given the menus. We waited a while for the waiters to come back to take our orders, and they didn’t keep the bread coming like they were suppose to I had to keep asking them to replenish my bread every time I wanted more and to top it off they kept reaching over and across me.
I ordered the stuffed mushrooms for my appetizer they were delicious, stuffed with Italian sausage OMG you just don’t know how good they were.
The red wine it was a Tenuta Lodola Nueva being served and the waiter was about to pour my glass without changing from the white wine glass I had to tell him that I needed a new glass Mrs. M told me that, that was a good call. The red was ok I didn’t like it as much as I liked the white wine.
I got shrimp scampi for the main course and it was delicious also. It was four large shrimp in a garlic lemon butter sauce with new potatoes and asparagus. The crossing never stopped from the time we got there until we left.
The tables were cleared and crumbed, but they didn’t wait until everyone was done eating before they cleared the tables they cleared as everyone finished.
The dessert menus were given to us and I ordered the strawberry zabaglione oh man that was some good stuff, I also got an espresso, while we were having dessert Chef Angelou Stella came to the table and told us if cooking is something that we really want do go for it and you have to love what your doing in order to get exactly what you want out of life and don’t give up.
I really enjoyed my day it was a chance for me to get to know Mrs. M outside the class and I love that lady she is so cool, I’m happy that I am lucky enough to have her for my teacher. The day in a whole was a good day.
Peaceful, soothing, and cordial describes the restaurants atmosphere, décor, and service. Our class had the pleasure visiting an Italian restaurant by the name of Porto Leggero. It’s a mid-size dimly lit restaurant that sits in the end corner of the block. If you were driving to find it you would miss it. It sits in next to a deli. When we stepped inside the restaurant we were greeted by a subtle host who took our coats and checked our reservations. Our reservations were for 1:00 p.m., but we arrived around 1:10 p.m. As I looked around I notice the restaurant had a bar with CNN playing on the television showing the stock market and what was going on around the world. There were also small tables maybe for business drinks or just to stop in for a drink with friends to socialize intimately.
As we were escorted by our waiter Luis I did notice that he was very dapper if I may say so myself. All of the wait staff for that matter was very well kept, and polite. We were all seated at a big round table, just like a family. The table setting was nice and also correct. It was a very nice seating next to a bay window. Not that there was much to see outside, one reason is because there is another tall building facing it on the other side, and the other reason was because it was raining outside. But there was plenty to see on the inside, the curtains were warm colors of dark red and golden yellow. The pictures on the wall looked like some type of spin off of Picasso painting, but in 3-D. The walls showed a rustic brick look that made me feel warm and at home.
As we were seated I would believe that the other wait staff that helped Luis were the Demi-chef de rang and the commis de rang. They both began to fill our glasses with water and serve us bread. Everyone was conversing to one another about the décor. Luis returned to the table and Mrs. M asked to see the wine list. That’s when the sommelier came out to take our wine selection. The sommelier didn’t seem too friendly as Mrs. M was telling him what her selection was. He was acting as if it was a bother in my opinion. When Luis brought over both bottles of wine he asked Mrs. M (Our Host) if she would like to start off with the red wine. I know in class Mrs. M always says let the red wine breathe for at least twenty minutes before drinking. So, of course she told Luis that she would like to let the red wine rest and start with the white wine. The white wine was a Chardonnay. I enjoyed the white wine. I think I enjoyed it so much I forgot the name of it. But I do remember that it is a chardonnay grape that was used. It wasn’t really dry. And for a red wine we had Tenuta Lodola Nuova which was very dry and smelled like a bouquet of flowers. I didn’t like it very much.
After we received our wine that’s when Luis came around the table taking everyone’s orders for our appetizers. I ordered the Insalata which was very refreshing and delicious. The Insalata had mixed baby lettuce with roasted red onions, topped with a shaving of Parmigiano cheese and balsamic vinegar. The combination of all the ingredients worked well together. The portion of my appetizer was much larger than other places that I have been to before. Let’s just say that the portion size isn’t what I imagined it to be. When the appetizers were served they were not all served on the left side of everyone. This is because our table was adjusted near a window. This made it harder for the wait staff to serve us correctly. There was a lot of crossing in front of the other members of my class including myself. As we were enjoying our Appetizers I noticed that our water and wine were being refilled, as well as our bread. There were some instances where one of my classmates felt as though there was a long pause when serving the bread. I would have definitely agreed but I didn’t want to fill myself up with bread after seeing how big the appetizers were.
For my lunch entrée I had the Bronzio Livornese. I was so happy that I ordered this dish. There aren’t any words to explain this dish. Let me see. Let me start off first by giving you the ingredients of the dish. This dish is a striped bass in a sauce of olives, capers, and onions with a hint of anchovy. The fish was tender and the olives and onions worked well together and the anchovy gave it the kick it needed. The striped bass and onions were very tender. So tender it didn’t require me to chew if I didn’t want to. But, I did to taste the juices flowing in my mouth. At that moment I was tasting my fish entrée wishing I still had some of my white wine. I believe that the white wine would have gone very well with my entrée. We had a very special guest visit our table. Yes the wizard himself Chef Angelou Stella came out to check out the table and asked if we were enjoying our meal. And everyone at the table seemed to be more than satisfied. He gave us words of wisdom after Mrs. M explained to him that we were students from the Culinary Arts School. I think that was very nice of him to do.
After dinner I stepped away from the table and when I returned my napkin was sitting in my chair just as I left it. No one came over and refolded my napkin. And to my surprise my area of the table was not crumbed. I was told by a class mate that maybe it was because I got up from the table. But either way the whole table should have been crumbed. That’s correct service isn’t it. But it wasn’t a great big deal, just a small one.
At this time from returning back to the table Louis was taking our dessert order. I ordered a cappuccino and the Fillo Cannollicini which was two layers of phyllo dough painted with chocolate with chocolate mousse and Chantilly cream with a caramel sauce drizzled onto the plate. It was a beautiful presentation. I really enjoyed myself.
I would definitely refer some of my friends, family, and anyone else for that matter. Thanks Mrs. M I really enjoyed myself. I might even try to recreate my dishes at home.
Chaleste Riley
Mrs. M
Feb.10th,2009
restaurant review
PORTO LEGGERO RESTAURANT REVIEW
My experience at the Porto Leggero restaurant on Tuesday Feb.10th, 2009, was both pleasant and interesting. Although there wasn’t a host/hostess to open the door for my class as we entered the restaurant, I must say they did greet us and our table was prepared as it should’ve been because we had reservations.
The atmosphere was calming; however it was a little too quiet for me. Behind us was a brick wall and straight across from that were windows overlooking Jersey City’s harbor side. The staff didn’t have matching uniforms, the runners wore black pants and white buttoned shirts while the server wore a beige shirt with black pants and a burgundy belt?
As we sat at our table no one came around to help us such as pull out our chairs for us. The runner was obviously left-handed; he poured water with his left hand and crossed everyone. The other runner came around serving bread with two spoons instead of a spoon and fork. Our server who is also from Hudson County Community College, made us an infused oil although it lacked salt it was a rather nice gesture. Mrs. M. ordered two wines (white) Santa Margarita pinot grigio 2007 and (red) Monto Porchiano 2003. Our server brought them out showed them to her to make sure they were correct, opened the white wine without a towel knowing that its chilled, he should have had one because as he poured a taste for the host and proceeded to everyone else ladies first the gentlemen, the bottle dripped drops of water from the frost of the bottle. Not to forget he left the cork on the table without putting it on a plate. With the red wine he did decant it, and put that cork on a plate next to the wine.
Even though there were like a thousand specials (being sarcastic) he named every last one of them, while sweating profusively as if he was nervous or something. After giving my classmate Mohnerra extra everything special treatment and touching her on her shoulder more than once which by the way is prohibited, he proceeded with the food order.
A drink order was not even taken and I may be wrong but I don’t remember seeing soup on the menu either nor hearing it in one of the specials. After taking my order he forgot to take my menu. For a large group I must say the food came out in a timely manner despite a minor delay for a few messed up orders. For an appetizer I had the calamari special fried calamari with tomato salsa and marinara. It was so delicious I ate every bite! What I was a little baffled by was that the runner cleared each appetizer plate as people completed instead of waiting until everyone was done.
When the entrees were served they knew who ordered what without asking us. I had another special which was the mushroom stuffed ravioli with a parmesan cream sauce and truffle oil. I didn’t receive a sauce spoon but that too was delicious I really tried to eat every bite but that wasn’t happening. Not to forget the sample size mushroom risotto he gave all of us.
All in all, I regardless of the fact that there were a couple of mistakes, my experience here was a good one. I highly recommend this place for a nice affordable lunch and or dinner.
Chaleste N.Riley
February 10, 2009 around 1pm we arrived at the Porto Leggero. As we entered the place the Maitre D’ welcomed us and told us that we can check our coat to the lady by the room. We gave her our coat and gave us a ticket number for our coat. Then the Maitre D’ showed us our table. While I was walking I notice that the customer are like business people. They were all wearing this tuxedo, neck time and really dress up. As I walked to my table I saw that the table wasn’t ready. The chair are not in place, they were taking out some chair and just actually fixing our table. I went to my chair and I thought the commi de range is pulling the chair for me but he wasn’t he was taking it away. So I was kind of confuse so I just sat down where there is an empty chair. Since they take out the chair my table setting is not in place. I was the one for fix my table setting because the commi de range or the chef de range didn’t fix it. I also notice that our table was the only one who doesn’t have any table cloth. I don’t know why maybe because it was the long table I’m not sure. The commi de range start pouring the water. He didn’t served it the right way. He serve my drink from his left to my right hand. Which suppose to be from his right hand to my right hand. Also, your not suppose to touch the glass with the pitcher. However, he did and he mainly did it almost to all of us. I think because it was a tight place, that you cant really move around that’s why he made the mistake. After the water, he gave us our bread and while the commi was giving out the bread Chef de range came and talked to the host (Mrs. M). Mrs. M order a white wine “Pinot Grigio, Santa Maraherita, 2007” and a red wine “V. Nobile “Riserva” Di Montepulciano Ruffino, 2001”. He bought our wine and showed it to Mrs. M. Mrs. M said okay and he put the red wine by the side table and he opened the white wine in our table. He pretty did a good job but forgot to wipe the bottle before he pours the wine. He pours the red wine in the other bottle then left it in the center of our table. The white wine was left by the side table inside the bucket. We started eating our bread and I was kind of waiting for the Chef de range to ask us about our drink order but he never did. Maybe because Mrs. M order wine already but I thought he was going to ask us but he never ask us about our drink order through out our meal. Chef de range came and told us the special of the day. They have all the special starting from appetizer, salad, and entrée. I will gave him a plus for knowing the special and he really specify all of it. Chef de range left to talk to the other table.
Chef de range took our order and he did take the order correctly. He took the lady’s order first and then the gentlemen. I notice that when one of my fellow classmate asked him a question about the menu he can just answer it. He really knows the menu by heart. While he was taking our food order our bread was empty and the commi de range didn’t refill it after 20 minutes, even the water it wasn’t refill continuously. He took all our order and went to the kitchen. The day went the same with the bread and water not replenish all the time. Appetizer were served I am not sure if the other were serve the right way but with my appetizer it was serve from the left of the chef de range and my left however, my appetizer were delay for at least 5 minutes. Its didn’t come out when the other food came out. Appetizer were good not that great but good enough. I ordered calamari and shrimp. The only problem was my shrimp it wasn’t crispy or tasteful enough for me. Then they removed our appetizer plate. I’m not sure if they removed it correctly but they did removed mine on the right side.
Before our entrée were served Chef de range pours the red wine. Then all our food came at the same time. I had the stuff ravioli with mushroom and truffles. It was really delicious, the best, sauce was so creamy just the way I like it. Really delicious. Then the chef de range refills our wine but not everybody get the refill because not all of us are above 21 yrs old. When the Chef de range is about to removed my plate he asked me if I was done and he tap me. I know that’s a big NO. Mrs. M said “you never touch a customer”. Then we waited for a few minutes to get the dessert menu. I ordered crème brulee with a scoop cappuccino ice cream. While we were waiting for our dessert the chef sat with us to have a little talked and answer some question. Chef was really nice he told us his background and how the restaurant really work. Also, what we really learned in class were really happening. I would say the best part for me was the dessert.
Over all, I was a little bit disappointed because I thought the service would be better. There were too many mistakes from the chef de range and through out the service.
-Mhonerra
I’ve been to many restaurants in my lifetime but never any quite like this. Porto Leggero—located in Harborside Financial Plaza—is an elegant restaurant/lounge where most of its clientele consist of leisure men and women, who come to unwind after a hard day’s work. Its rustic Tuscan theme consist of red brick walls, oversized uncomplicated portraits, sturdy dining room furniture—tables, chairs, wine cabinet—that can stand up to just about anything. Hardwood floors and hefty light fixture that are all tied together by high rise barrel ceilings and huge windows that are finished with large thick burgundy and gold drape. The theme of this restaurant had a Tuscany flare and the menu was inspired by Italian cuisine.
Upon our arrival we were greeted at the door by a hostess who asked if we wanted to check our coats. Not really much of a big deal, but I couldn’t help but notice that the coat check area was its own little Tuscan cabin. I thought to myself “wow this is cool”, it was definitely different not your typical coat check area. As we’re walking to our seats Mrs. Meguerditchian warns us that the floor at this restaurant is very slippery, so at this point I’m trying to concentrate on maintaining my balance and composure on the highly waxed hardwood floors. Separating the lounge from the dining area was a bronze rod-iron ramp that I felt the most confident on walking wise which was a plus.
We were greeted at the table by a waiter who was subtracting seats from our table as everyone sat down. The first thing I noticed as I took my seat was that our table had no table cloth and all the other tables did, our silverware was placed directly on the table no napkins to serve as an under-liner for them. Which I thought was very unsanitary and unprofessional.
Just as in table service water and bread were served by the commis de’ rang while the chef de’ rang sat the guests, the menus were also distributed. After watching how things were done I realized something wasn’t right. At first I thought that it was because we were sitting so close to one another, but even then the women at the table should be served before men—from the right with the right. Instead we were served from the left with the right which meant the server had to cross in front of us and men were being served first. I must say I expected much more from what I thought to be an upscale restaurant.
For starters we had warm wheat bread and we had a choice between infused oil especially prepared for our table or butter. Following the bread and water wine was presented to the host—Mrs. M—Pinot Grigio Santa Margherita (white wine) was introduced first and then placed directly on the wine cabinet rather than being placed back on ice to remain cold. Another thing I noticed about the wine service was that the label was not visible at all times and the server did not have a napkin to wipe the bottle if need be. Montepulciano (red wine) was presented next it was then placed on the table along w/ the cork on a saucer in a decanter. Shortly after the white wine was served, the server served the host a very small amount first, then proceeded to serve the ladies and then the men.
Following drinks our orders were taken starting with the ladies first, I began my meal with Pollo (chicken Caesar salad dressed w/ bacon an avocado wedges) it was delicious the chicken was well seasoned, tender and juicy, crisp romaine lettuce, crispy bacon just the way I like it, and the avocado wedges were perfect. For my entrée I had the special which was the Stuffed Pork Chop (stuffed w/ truffles perchuttio and cheese) I must say I didn’t enjoy the entrée as much as I thought I would I love pork and I love perchuttio but I don’t think the flavors of the two work well together.
Overall the experience was great the restaurant was good but the service could have been much better. There’s always room for improvement in order to strive for perfection.
Le Cirque Review (Part 1)
February 2010
In a society where quantity often over rules quality, it seems near impossible to have a dining experience which satisfies both characteristics without hurting your pocket.
Together with 12 of my peers and 3 college professors, we went on a culinary expedition to one of the oldest and most respected restaurants in New York, Le Cirque. Though we were told about its grandeur and eminence I was clueless as to what to expect from such a prestigious restaurant. I have not, in my lifetime experienced luxurious dining. Hence, the idea of dining in Le Cirque was something I looked forward to.
Upon entering Le Cirque you will notice two rooms; contrasting yet congruous at the same time. The main dining room separated by a chocolate brown drapery is on the left. While on the right was the bar decorated with orange inverted umbrella lamps. Both rooms had warm burgundy tones; with minimal, straightforward and clean accents. Like the custom made show plates, the glass walls in the dining room had framed monkey sketches on display.
Before I entered the establishment, I imagined service so extravagant, I would feel like I was a celebrity. I expected handsome servers anticipating my whims. I was mistaken. I did not feel the slightest bit of special attention during my meal. Yes, I was served before the males at the table. Yes, the servers subtly whispered every course that I ordered. And yes, we were given an unending supply of bread. But, it felt like the servers were dragging themselves to our table. Their demeanor, expression, and disposition were not welcoming.
The food was not beyond the ordinary. We had the choice of an appetizer, entrée and dessert from the prix fixe menu for restaurant week. It was a steal. The Yukon gold potato gnocchi was light and delicate, almost melting in your mouth in every bite. It was heightened by the flavors of the salsa verde and the chewy texture from the escargot. The way they mounded the appetizer was definitely appealing. The braised venison with venison sausage was redundant. It was made worse by the fact that the casing from the sausage was not removed. The parsnip puree was delicious though. It was smooth creamy and subtle. The sauce was rich, smooth and flavorful.
Leaving enough space in my stomach I had my dessert. It was a mille feuille with Tahitian vanilla ice cream. It was a delicious combination of flavors. What caught my attention was the painstaking labor that went into plating my final course. Each layer of crust had exactly 14 pearl shaped cream filling piped out in identical sizes. It was amazing.
continued...
Le Cirque Review (Part 2)
February 2010
continued...
My experience at Le Cirque was unforgettable despite all its shortcomings. Had I not dined in Daniel on the Upper East Side of Manhattan I would have ranked Le Cirque as a restaurant with great service and exquisite food. But Daniel just blew me away into another dimension. At Daniel, I literally felt like I was a god. And that is not an exaggeration. It seemed like there were three servers at my call. They anticipated everything I needed. Before I even completely hung my bag on my chair someone quickly slid a “bag stool” underneath it; I did not speak a word neither did the man who slipped it there, just a hand gesture was enough. My table was crumbed for every single course that was sent to me; the silverware was replaced immediately after that. My drinks were replenished so quickly it seemed like they were mind readers, knowing what I needed. It was a full dining room. They were busy but when I needed to, I was escorted to the bathroom.
The restaurant’s atmosphere was very classy. Renowned designer Adam D. Tihany did a great job in transforming the classical restaurant into a contemporary space. The old columns and balusters were lightened by the addition of fresh flowers and custom made chandeliers.
And the food, the glorious food! I don’t even know where to begin. I did the six-course tasting menu; which ended up being ten courses because of all the complimentary dishes from the chef. Each plate that was placed in front of me was an art form. The texture, color and uniqueness of each dish was extraordinary. The amuse bouche was a trio of carrots. They did a carrot mousse, carrot crisp, and carrot puree. All of which tickled my taste buds and my eyes so well making me want for more. The anticipation for each course was intense. Though I knew what I was going to be served, I was still dying of excitement to know how each dish was going to come out. I never thought that lobster could have such a delicate sweetness. It was so fresh, tender, and juicy. The oyster, sea urchin, and caviar brought me to the tropical seas. And the one dish that I continue to dream about is the Duo of Dry Aged Black Angus Beef. The sauce was so rich, thick, and tasty with flavors that linger in your palette. The pearl sized marrow that came with the sauce was so scrumptious. No words can give justice to it.
Then the desserts arrived. I had the Warm Guanaja Chocolate Coulant with a Liquid Caramel Fleur de Sel and Milk Sorbet. The contrasts of hot and cold, sweet and salty, soft and crunchy all combined in a single plate is beyond me. And to top it all off I was served with a complimentary plate of assorted petit fours and chocolate truffles. Who will not feel ecstatic?
To have experienced such elegance and class in dining was a privilege. Though Daniel exceeded Le Cirque in some aspects I say that both restaurants are noteworthy. They make you feel good. And it isn’t just the food or the ambiance. It’s the entire experience that makes it so memorable. I’ve never enjoyed eating in small portions. I am used to eating to be full. But this time I was not full but was filled, satisfied, and elated. I now appreciate food not because of what it does to me but for what it is.
Today we went to Porto Leggero, which is located at the Jersey City Harborside Financial Center. Mrs. M. made the reservations a week before the outing. Upon entering the restaurant we were greeted by the host and seated in a timely fashion. The host was wearing a well pressed dark grey suit. The restaurant has high ceilings and large floor to ceiling windows. Most of the people in the restaurant looked like they were on a business lunch. Within two minutes our server was at our table passing out the menus while his assistant was pouring the water into our glasses. Mrs. M. chose the wines, one white and the other red. The server came by with the bottle of white wine and gave Mrs. M. a taste of the wine, after the approval the server made a mistake by pouring wine into a gentlemen’s glass before starting with the three other ladies that were with us. After the wine was poured the server recited the specials to us. The food order was taken in a timely manner, but it took too long to get to the table. By the time I got my appetizer it was a bit cold, then when I was given my entrée it wasn’t even hot. The server’s assistant did not know who got what entrée. I guess he didn’t even know what side of the plate the fork is placed as mine was placed on the right side. After we were finished with our lunch the plates were picked up and we were served our desserts. I had the apple pie and ice cream with strawberries. The pie and ice cream were good but the strawberries were not ripe. The server checked back with the table to see if everything was all right. As we were leaving we were thanked for coming to the restaurant and were greeted by the host before we left the premises. Would I come back? Yes, I would come back and give them a second chance. JAR.
Marco Rivera
Restaurant Review- Advanced Table Service 3, Mrs. Meguerditchian
Porto Leggero- Jersey City, NJ- September 23, 2010
It's a bright, breezy day in downtown Jersey City. I am standing outside of Porto Leggero, an Italian restaurant that has become very popular in the Waterfront dining scene for it's decorative ambiance and superb Italian food. From the outside, it looks very plain. I purposely did not look at pictures of this restaurant before going in, because I didn't want to set any expectations for myself. The entrance makes you feel like you're standing outside of a restaurant in NYC. I'm not sure how to explain it exactly, but it's the type of entrance that doesn't let you see much into the inside of the establishment, but one gets the feeling that there is something pretty special behind those double doors, and you would certainly be right to think so.
As our group of 10 culinary students get seated at a beautiful wood table that has just enough rustic appeal to make you think you're in an old Italian home (even if it's just for a second), I take a look around and notice how lively the spectrum of colors is. Huge, bright red and yellow drapes hang from the very high ceilings, beautiful hardwood stretches across the entire floor. Even the chairs were very comfortable to sit on, which is something I have taken more notice of over the years, and beautiful at that. We are quickly served our water and given warm bread with butter a few minutes after we are seated. A small amount of water drips on table from the water jar, but no big deal...using a plate with a folded napkin underneath would quickly fix this though. Our waiter gives us good amount of time to look over the menu, realizing that this is the first time most of our group has been here. Our host, Mrs. Meguerditchian, orders a bottle of red wine and white wine, and we all take a little to start what looks to be a very pleasant experience.
The lunch menu offers quite a bit to choose from- Traditional salads and pasta dishes, creative appetizers, and an assortment of main courses that would rival any Italian restaurant out there. I choose to go with the Cozze Fra Diavalo, steamed mussels in a white wine, garlic and fresh tomato sauce with chili pepper. I have to start by saying that I've been eating mussels since I was about 3-4 years old, and I can say that these little mussels were some of the best I've ever had. The sauce is really what made it- (as usual) Garlicy, oniony, a spicy, robust tomato flavor ...if you're a fan of Italian sauce and mussels, this plate is simply a joy. I could tell by the aroma alone that I was in for a treat. Not to mention the large croutons served on the side for a little dipping, always welcomed when there's sauce to be finished. Everyone else at our table seems to enjoy the daily special of Fried Calamari and Rock Shrimp. I am offered a small amout to try from a neighboring dish- the calamari was fresh- very soft, very flavorful, and the shrimp crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. Not bad I thought, but I'm glad that I stuck with the mussels.
Throughout our meal, my water glass pretty much stays full. I can't say how much this pleases me, not only because I drink a lot of water but because it shows me that the wait staff is paying attention to the table. In my opinion, that's how you do things right. Before I know it, my Dentice Marechiara is put down in front of me. Filet of Red Snapper in a saffron and fresh tomato broth with clams, mussels and shrimp. It's beautiful...it really is. I take my first bite of one of the large shrimp and I'm in bliss. Granted, I'm a fan of seafood...but the flavors just got to me. The taste of saffron mixed in with the light tomato broth...it just made my mouth melt. The balance of flavors in the sauce and the way it compliments the Red Snapper is superb. Tender but firm, fresh...not fishy at all. A seafood lover's dream, if only for a lunch portion. For my dessert I take our waiter's recommendation and order the Filo dough with chocolate and vanilla mousse, a beautifully plated dessert of filo dough squares and mousse stacked 2 levels high, with a raspberry compote. Luscious, creamy, crunchy and flaky...a texture paradise, and not too sweet which was my main drawback, but I'm glad I took the waiter's word. Our entire table was also treated to a table-side demonstration of how to make Zabaglione, an Italian custard dessert typically made using egg yolks, sugar and Marsala wine. Our waiter poured the Zabaglione over fresh strawberries and we were all in heaven. I don't think there was one mouth without a smile on it in the entire table, and rightfully so. My first experience at Porto Leggero turned out to be a very pleasant one, and as I walked out of the restaurant feeling that happiness you can only get from a full stomach, I just thought “that was really pretty good.”, and I meant it.
Il Capriccio is a little slice of Italy in Whippany. One step through the door and you are automatically transplanted to the beautiful Italian countryside. Reservations are highly recommended especially on weekend nights. Right away we were greeted and had our coats checked by the wonderful maitre d, then in a prompt manner we were seated. The host was in a fabulous suit and the rest of the front of house staff were in matching attire. As you walk into the dining room, you would almost think you had walked into the Sistine Chapel. The beautiful art work on the walls and ceilings look like they came from the Italian Renaissance. The dress code is rather formal with jackets required for the men.
Upon being seated our server was at our table going over the many specials for the day. Our server was very attentive and had all the answers to any question we had. We had two wines for the table, first a white of sauvignon blanc by Critone Val di Neto, and the red a Dogajolo by Carpineto made up of eighty percent sangiovese and twenty percent cabernet sauvignon. Both wines were exquisite and accompanied our food beautifully. Bread and butter were served and refilled appropriately and promptly, as well as our glasses. Bread was great and had an authentic taste like it was from Italy itself with the only drawback of the bread being served cold.
The food service was slow, especially for our first course, but was worth the wait. The plates looked magnificent and were served to the right people in the correct fashion. As an appetizer the mixed seafood with fresh pasta was delectable. The fish was cooked perfectly and the tomato sauce accompanied the proteins harmoniously. The pasta you can tell was hand made the day of and was perfect. As service went on, the kitchen caught up and our food was presented in a timely manner. The main course, a Chilean sea bass served with broccoli rabe, cannelini beans, and a vin blanc sauce, came together magically. The fish was cooked perfectly and the combination of the beans and bitterness of the broccoli rabe played well with the buttery ness of the fish. One entrée was done tableside was a whole branzini. Our wonderful maitre d, deboned the fish right in front of us in what seemed like a few strokes of the fork and spoon in his hands.
After each plate was presented we had our server right there with fresh ground pepper or fresh grated cheese depending on what the dish called for. As we finished with our courses our plates as well as our soiled silverware were removed and replenished as required. For dessert a plate of biscotti was presented for the table and our coffee order was taken. With dessert came another tableside presentation. This time a zabaione was prepared and served over vanilla ice cream with strawberries and crushed almond biscotti. The zabaione was to die for and paired well with a Michele Chiarlo Moscato d’Asti from Pediemonte. Before leaving we were greeted by the chef and had a chance to talk food with him.
Overall the food was great with service that makes you feel welcomed and wanting to come back. The ambiance was magnificent and inviting and I felt like I had just been in a museum. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for great Italian food in a fine dining setting. The restaurant I had researched previously and this one were quite different. As this was a fine dining establishment the other restaurant was more of a casual modern place. While the other restaurant had Italian influences the menu also reflected the many cultures that make up our wonderful country. Both restaurants were great but for a more refined evening with classic Italian food Il Capriccio wins hands down.
Lara Melissa Lagman
Table Service III
Mrs. Meguerditchian
November 8, 2010
Restaurant Review: Il Capriccio
The restaurant our class decided to take our trip to was Il Capriccio, located in Whippany, New Jersey. Il Capriccio translates into “full house” and it is owned by Tony Grande. This restaurant required a reservation, especially with a big group like us but the person who took care of it was our teacher, Siroun Meguerditchian. A few of us walked in early with Mrs. M. and the first thing that we experienced was a view of the numerous awards that the restaurant has received followed by a greeting by our maitre d’. He introduced himself with a smile on his face and as happy as ever. Our host was also very clean-cut and dressed in a very presentable suit. Before they seated the group of five that I was in, they offered to take our coats. We walked into a very elegant room that looked simply decorated with everything flowing together nicely. The table I was seated at was right in front of a mirror, which made the room seem bigger. The clientele that was seated in the same dining hall seemed to look like more the business-like type.
When we got to our table the servers immediately came and pulled out our seats since we were a table full of women. Our server was well put together and he spoke in a way that he knew all the things he needed to know. Our class did not need to have any of our drinks ordered because our teacher always picked a red and white wine that we are to have for the dinner. We were also given water that was constantly filled throughout our whole meal; unfortunately our wine glasses weren’t allowed to be refilled. Before they served the white and red wines to us, the servers had a presentation of them decanting the red wine. After both wines were served, the host came around and gave a history of both wines and even gave us a little lesson about what the taste de vin was.
After a few minutes of sitting, they delivered the bread and butter to our table. The interesting I found most interesting was the presentation of their butter; instead of having slices like I’ve normally seen, they were scraped into ball shaped. Since our class was a big group, we took up five tables of about five or six guests; so there were not enough servers to be at each table to explain the specials. When the server did get to us he spoke about the specials and had an explanation of each one thoroughly, he was even able to answer the questions we had and even gave some suggestions when some of us were stuck between two items. The orders were not taken the way we learned in class, I think because our table was too close to the wall and also too close to the table next to us. The table setting seemed too packed as well, it seemed as though we can barely move. It felt like we were walking on glass trying to pick up or move something without spilling something. After placing our orders, it took a while for the appetizers to come out so the server came over to start up a little conversation and assured us that the food would be out soon. As for the entrée, it came right on time; about five to ten minutes after we finished the appetizers. Before they brought out our entrees, they cleared our soiled plates and switched out our dirty utensils.
(Lara Melissa Lagman, part two.)
Again, the food could not be delivered properly due to the fact that everything was packed together. There was a little miscommunication with my order and another person in my table. The server switched my order with another person by mistake but it was easily switched. The maitre d’ had a very disappointed look on his face as he walked away. They offered pepper to go along with our entrees after we received them The appetizer and entrée were both served on white plates, I’m guessing to better show off the colors of the food. For my appetizer I ordered the stuffed oysters. I picked that appetizer because it is something I would never normally order at a restaurant. It was an amazing choice because the taste of the seafood went very well with the hollandaise sauce added on top. As for the entrée, I had the chicken breast stuffed with cheese wrapped in prosciutto accompanied by steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes. It was very delicious with the gravy served on top of it. Of course I didn’t finish it because I wanted to make room for dessert.
After every course the server made sure to come by to check if we needed anything. Once we were finished with our entrees, the servers and bus boys came by again and picked up our soiled plates and utensils and crumbed our table. A few minutes later they presented us the dessert menu and gave a few minutes to decide. I ordered the chocolate lava cake, it was called the “Vesuvius”, and it was served with hazelnut gelato. I also had a cappuccino. As we waited for our orders, they left us the milk and sugars for our coffees and cappuccinos and our dessert spoons as well. The desserts and coffees were served properly but the only problem we had at our table was that the servers took too long to collect the sugar cube wrappers from our table. We ended our dinner with a dessert sparkling wine called Moscato D’Asit. Before we left, each table had a meet and greet with the owner/chef, Tony Grande. He left our table with a good piece of advice “everything will come out better when you have a passion for it”. As we left the restaurant, everyone greeted us good-bye and thanked us.
In conclusion, this experience was amazing from the food to the dessert to the people I experienced it with. Although it is not something I would do on a regular daily basis, it is definitely something that I’d love to do again. I would go back again basically for the experience. I’d definitely suggest the restaurant for its service and food.
Mrs. Meguerditchian
Table service III
7 November 2010
Restaurant Critique And Comparison
On my visit to Il Capriccio in Whippany, NJ, I learned how we can still have a
beautiful old world ambiance, but still stay true to being humble and enjoying wonderful
food in this classical Italian eatery. Luckily my visit was with my class, so I never needed
to make a reservation. But one could assume no harm in calling ahead of time just to
make sure that all details for your dining experience will be taken care of. Upon our
arrival to this masterful display of stone, brick, and flowers, I felt the kind of sensation
that a person gets when they feel like something great is about to happen. Our host
greeted us and sat us very quickly and it was evident that he knew very well how to
handle this party of 21. Our server, Antonio, came quickly and before the last word of his
first sentence was spoken we had bread, wine, water, butter, and marinated peppers in
front of us, and they never stopped coming. But while wine was being served , wine
bottle had been popped open. While no wine list was shown because the wines had been
predetermined for our party, I’m sure that the host server would have gone through that
motion very effortlessly. He did explain the wines we would be having for the meal. And
they were Critone val di neto, which was a sauvignon blanc, a dojajola carpineto, which
had sangiovese and cabernet sauvignon grapes, then to end our meal we had a moscato
d’asti nivole michele chiarlo from pediemonte in Italy, He was a gentlemen further up in
Barbosa 2
age, but very well groomed, and a fresh pressed suit. He then proceeded to recite his
specials and every word he said made me wish I could have all of them. Then after very
little deliberation our order was taken and each and every question our table had the
server responded quickly, and very confidently to. But here is where the total experience
could have improved, the appetizers took a little more than an hour to come to our table,
and while this is not the fault of the front, nothing was ever said and no one ever
apologized. The appetizers then came out, over an hour later, and on occasion, were
served from the right side. But other than that the first course was excellent. I jumped into
a wonderful cocoa pasta with a very flavorful venison ragout. Then as soon as I finished
my first course, my second course was in front of me within a minute. I had ordered a
braised shot rib as my second course. And while the “ short rib “ was delicious, it was not
a short rib. It seemed to be a top round of beef , or something very similar. But along with
the short rib came a delicious sweet pea risotto, that was perfectly cooked and very fresh
and clean. The chefs presentation was very simple, one can see that the chef is a believer
of less is more, because that is all I received. A short rib, risotto, and a sprig of rosemary
as garnish. After my second course, all of the silverware was removed and replaced for
desert silverware. The followed the highlight of my meal. The coconut sorbet, upon
which I ended my dinner with. It was fat free, but had a texture to that a creamy gelato.
But among all of the changing of the courses and silverware, the table was never crumbed
of the bread crumbs. Which was miraculous because the server was always there at our
side, for anything we had wanted. Then as we were leaving all of the ladies were assisted
with their chairs, and then we had exited a wonderful experience on a sour note. I was
chairs, and then we had exited a wonderful experience on a sour note. I was
expecting a “ come back soon!” but nothing was said other than thank you as we left. And
as we left, we left under the blessings of the host and the chef.
In conclusion, other than the short rib misconception, the food was excellent. The
service was quite attentive, and very quick moving, but it faltered on some major points.
Like not serving ladies first, popping wine bottles, serving meals from the right, and
taking silverware and forgetting to bring a particular item back. But other than those
things the ambience and delicious food could make anyone over look those faults. I had
an overall wonderful experience, and I would return with many more friends, to share this
little secrete treasure I have discovered.
… In Comparison
In comparison to Del Posto, Il Capriccio is very much simplified. And I think that
is what has given it so many awards over the years. While Del Posto has just reopened,
and is very much unstable. He service at Del Posto is very new world, while Il capriccio
is classical French style of service. At Del Posto food is fiddled with, which I do not
approve of, but at Il capriccio the food is more my style, simple and flavorful. If I had to
choose between Del Posto and Il capriccio I would have to go to the little Italian treasure,
hidden in northern Jersey.
Dorothy Alburo
Professor Meguerditchian
Advanced Table Service III
8 November 2010
Restaurant Review
Last Tuesday the class went on a trip to Il Capriccio in Whippany, NJ. Il Capriccio means caprice in Italian and the restaurant specializes in Italian cuisine. Seasonal flowers and pumpkins surrounded the entrance and once we got inside, there were numerous awards the chef received that were framed and mounted on the walls. Reservations were made by Professor Meguerditchian beforehand and we were welcomed graciously by a well groomed host that our professor introduced to us as Salvador.
Salvador wore a nice gray suit with a blue button down shirt and he individually shook our hands and welcomed us to the dining room immediately. The dining room was decorated with paintings of some mythological characters in Roman mythology and mirrors were adorned on walls and columns supported the room. The room was filled with warm colors like the gold tones in the walls and red in the draperies and floral carpet. The restaurant had a small feel to it and the space between the tables was very cramped. The décor of the restaurant screams out old Italy with a touch of elegance. There were numerous works of art everywhere and a huge vase of flowers in the center of the room. The restaurant had a couple of tables that were occupied by people that appear to be business men and women. The circular dining tables were simple and covered with a white table cloth, a silencer underneath it and a circular vase that contains a floating aromatic flower floating on top of water used as a centerpiece.
Our class was divided among four tables and as my group (a group of women) approached the table, we waited patiently as we were assisted by a server to a chair. Once we all sat down, the show plates were removed and water was poured into our water glasses. The table was small and was loaded with glasses and utensils. Bread and butter were brought to the table, the bread was sliced and was not warm but delicious and the butter looked like curled ridged shells. The servers wore maroon suits and were all male, and the maître d wore a black tuxedo. The wine menu was presented to our professor and she chose the wines and it was brought to Chef Dillan for his approval.
(Dorothy Alburo)
A server came by and greeted us and went around the table and poured us Val di Neto Bianco Critone, a 2009 vintage that was bottled by Librandi. The wine came from the Calabria region and is 90% Chardonnay and 10% Sauvignon. While the white wine was being poured in all 4 tables, Salvador was working on a side station and was decanting Doglajolo, a red wine from Tuscany that comprises of 80% Sangiovese grapes and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon with an aid of a lighted candle. This particular Doglajolo was a 2008 vintage produced by Carpineto. After the red wine was decanted and served, Salvador walked around and came to my table and showed us a tastevin. A tastevin looked like a small silver cup with a chain and Salvador pointed out the ridges within the cup and explained that it was used to aerate red wine during wine tastings to release the bouquet of the wine.
Wine was poured for everyone to taste even to people that were younger than 21, so there were no wine refills. After both wines were poured, a server gave us a dish that comprised of various vegetables in pickled brine. I asked the server to explain what it was he said that it was vegetables and said it was spicy, when I took a bite it wasn’t spicy at all. The vegetables were bright and tart from the vinegar and a bit crunchy and it went well with the bread. We waited for a while for our orders to be taken and noticed that the other three tables had servers that were explaining the daily specials. After some time a server from the neighboring table came by and gave us the menus and described the special appetizers and pasta they were serving that day.
The server took our orders and I ordered stuffed artichoke hearts “al forno” stuffed with capers, Vidalia onions, gaeta olives, parma prosciutto and brioche breadcrumbs as an appetizer and medallions of veal “Boscaiola” which consists of tender, milk fed veal prepared with sun dried tomatoes, chipollini onions, mixed seasonal mushrooms and herbs as an entrée. There wasn’t enough room for the server to walk around to take our orders so he stood between two people and took orders before moving to the next two people. Looking at the menu I noticed that the restaurant doesn’t offer any soups. It took us a long time to place our order, but we were not rushed and we took our time.
(Dorothy Alburo)
We were finished for the day, and we helped ourselves out of the chairs as we were leaving. We were greeted again by the staff as we were leaving and looking back at the whole experience I can say a good highs and lows of the experience. The servers and host were friendly and attentive to fill our water glasses throughout the meal. The servers took their time to answer any question we had and cleaned our tables between meals. The food was delicious, but was alright. The dish that I can talk about for days was the dessert and I would rather rave about all the dishes I had in a restaurant instead of just one. The tables were a bit too small and there wasn’t enough room to get out of the chair without telling a neighbor from a following table that we had to excuse ourselves. The ambiance of the restaurant was fancy and felt more business-like than casual. I wouldn’t come back to the restaurant because my experience here was just ok, but I’ll definitely recommend it to a couple (not a group) that is celebrating an anniversary.
Compared to Il Capriccio, Annisa, a restaurant in Greenwich Village that focuses on Asian food using French technique or Asian fusion has a different mission and ambiance. According to the New York Times article, “the restaurant was quietly ambitious. It was the sort of place serious couples went to for serious dinner dates, elegant without being fussy, adult. The décor was beige and said little.” The reviewer in the article had an ok experience e in Annisa and noted that the dining area was quiet and serious like it is in the kitchen. The dishes were made in a way for the individual ingredients to mend beautifully and to speak for itself, simple clean flavors that are not complicated. The reviewer also noted that the restaurant was good, but not perfect and continued on to talk about a soup that was served since the opening of the restaurant and how the flavors were diminished. Il Capriccio and Annisa obviously serve different cuisines, but the major differences can be seen in the wine lists. Il Capriccio offers wines from Italy, California, France, Australia, etc. As stated in the article, Annisa “[offers] wines made by women or wineries owned by them.”
The dessert the reviewer had in Annisa was good, but noted that it wasn’t a dish that represented the style of the main chef so it didn’t seem personal. The chef stayed in the kitchen cooking, and didn’t come out to speak to the customers like the experience we had in Il Capriccio. The décor, ambiance, food, and style differ in Il Capriccio and Annisa. What both restaurants share is the food that both owners dreamt about serving and living out their passion, but their work is not readily recognized by everyone and the overall experience was pleasurable, but not fantastic.
IL CAPRICCIO RISTORANTE
We went to visit this fabulous restaurant as a field trip of our Advanced Table service Class of Culinary arts Institute of HCCC. Our Instructor, Mrs. Meguerditchian proposed this assignment as a final project for her class, in order to compare what we are learning in her class with the real life experience in an upscale restaurant like this one. In order to accomplish that, our instructor made the reservations one week before and explained them, that she does not want a Banquet service. The restaurant’s staff set three tables for five people each, and a larger head table, where the instructor and the Department’s Dean will be seated. For these reasons, many things were done only at the head table such as drinks order, wine order and the check presentation. However the service experience was completely real and done perfectly at each table.
Il Capriccio Ristorante is a “dream come true” for the chef Tony Grande and his wife, who founded it thirty years ago. Their whole family works there caring about food, service and decoration at the same time. Every single detail has been taken seriously. As a result, this restaurant has many awards and lately has been nominated as the best restaurant in New Jersey. The interior decoration of the restaurant was carefully and perfectly done. The colors of the walls, chairs, carpet and furniture contribute to highlight the beauty of its “frescos” on the cathedral ceiling. They are a clear reminisce of the “Sistine Chapel” in Rome, Italy. Other well thought details such as the piano, the cognac’s bottles collection, the paintings at the walls, the roman columns, the center floral arrangement and the wood carved bar create a unique, elegant and romantic atmosphere. I think that the decoration and ambience is classic and fancy to please their wealthy clientele.
As soon as we got in the restaurant, we were greeted and seated immediately by the server. Our server assisted me with my chair. I assume that the Host was the Maitre D at the same time, and he was busy at other table. The wait staff was properly dressed up with classic burgundy tuxedos, and the Maitre D and the Sommelier had black tuxedos. The wait staff appearance is excellent and well groomed as well. All of them have a very courteous and kind attitude. I can tell that they are very well trained and knowledgeable about French service and wines also. Of course, at our table the serve never took drink orders and wine orders, because it was done at the head table. Over there, the wine menu was presented to our Instructor and she ordered the wine. Later on, they brought the wines and presented them to Chef Dillan, who approved them.
Immediately, a team of well coordinated waiters served water, red and white wine, cold bread, butter and pickled relish to the table. Afterward, the server brought us the menus and explained the specials of the day. It was a long list of appetizers and entrees that included a very clear explanation of each item. He gave us enough time to decide and came back to take the order of appetizers and entrees. At the same time he answered some questions about the menu without doubts. At this point, I noticed that the lack of room was causing the servers to break the rules about serving drinks from the right and taking orders from the left, but they never crossed in front of any guest. Nevertheless, they served always ladies first and refilled water picking up the water glasses out of the table, because the table was too crowded.
In conclusion, I have to say that my overall experience was great. I cannot make any comments on issues like the reservations, the drink orders, the wine orders, the check presentation and suggestive selling due to the nature of our visit. In contrast, I can tell that the service in the restaurant was excellent. The wait staff did a great team work; they are well trained and knowledgeable about service, wines, and tableside work. The restaurant’s staff knew the reason of our visit and they did as much as they could to make us feel comfortable and to learn from this experience. For instance, the chef came out to talk to us, the Sommelier and Maitre D explained everything about wines, and servers did tableside work in front of the head table. All the staff worked with nice and courteous attitude and always they were attentive to any small need. The food was well presented and the flavors are amazing. When I looked at the menu to order my food, also I looked at the prices. I realized that prices are reasonable and totally worth it. The ambience is very elegant and romantic. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to all my friends and I will go back in the future, because it is a complete dining experience. I finally understood the whole meaning of this expression.
Nonetheless, I can say that the purpose of writing each review is different. For Instance, Frank Bruni wrote his review based on quality of food versus prices, because this matter is the most important for his readers. In brief, he describes Minetta Tavern as a Classic French Style restaurant. They are an excellent steak house that sells aged meats. The restaurant is always crowded and a bit loud. Bruni barely touches at service issues. He only says: “At Minetta the servers don’t bark at you”. Il Cappricio Ristorante is a classic and Italian restaurant with amazing food as well, but the ambience is elegant and romantic. My review is more focused at French service and wine service, because that was the purpose of our visit. However, I can tell that both are good restaurants offering great food with different styles. Il Capriccio Ristorante offers a better dining experience, for its nice, elegant ambience and outstanding service.
Hghobashy
November 4th, 2010
Advanced Table Service III
Mrs. Siroun Meguerditchian
Il Capriccio vs Mohawk House Vibe
On November 2nd we went to Il Capriccio in Wippany nj for dinner with the class. Mrs. M had made reservations in advance for 12:30pm. My table was the first to arrive, so we were the first to go inside. The host greeted us with a big smile making us feel like he was happy to have us there. Before walking us to our table he offered us coat check and so we checked our coats in. We were seated within five minutes of getting there, which in my opinion was a timely fashion.
The host’s attitude was very friendly and pleasant. He was kind and patient as he waited for the entire class to arrive. He was wearing a black suit with a tie, his hair was neat, he was cleanly shaved and his nails were trimmed short. Il Capriccio to me seems like a upscale restaurant. Their clientele are most likely businessmen/women, doctors, and higher class people. The décor seems to be borderline antique but very classy. The colors were beautiful, and the paintings on the wall and ceiling were very elegant.
Once we were seated our server came over with the water pitcher and served us water, while another server brought out the butter and bread. Our server did reach over twice while serving water, but he did so from the right with his right. He was very nice and greeted us, he introduced himself and told us if we needed anything to let him know. The server was well groomed. He had on black pants with a maroon suit jacket and a bow tie on. He was also cleanly shaved and well groomed. The server didn’t ask us for our drink order because Mrs. M had set up a tasting for a white and red wine.
The host came over after all the guest were seated and decanted the red wine, while our server was pouring us white wine. After a few minutes the red wine was being poured as well. The host then came our to our table and briefly talked to us about each wine. The first wine he talked about was the red wine, it was Dogajolo. It was made in Tuscany, Italy and bottled in 2008. Dogajolo was made up of 80% sangroueseg and 20%cabernet. It had hints of berry, coffee, vanilla and spice. The second wine was the white wine, Critone Val Di Neto. It was bottled in 2009 by Casa Vinicda litrandi Antonio.
After hearing about the wines our server game over and gave us the menu while telling us about the specials of the day. He didn’t try suggestive selling but he answered all questions we had about the menu. We placed our ordered and waiting for the food to come out. In the meantime we were eating the bread and it was room tempretuare while the butter was a little colder. Our appetizers where out after 10 minutes and it tasted good. The food was served in the correct manner from the left with the left, except for one time when he reached over to serve a plate. After we finished eating the main course was served and it looked beautiful.
I ordered the calamari as an appetizer. It came out in a bowl with a tomato sauce and I thought it was good. For my main course I ordered the veal and the presentation of it alone was mouthwatering. The veal was cut into thin slices on the bottom and it was breaded. On top was diced tomatoes with arugula and red onions marinated with a lemon vinaigrette and last was sliced parmesan cheese placed on the side with a balsamic vinaigrette drizzled on top.
continuation ..
The silverware was all replaced when it needed to be, but while cleaning the table our server picked up the plated in the wrong order. He first took mines, then he skipped three people and picked up Melissa’s plate then proceeded to come around the Dorothy that was seated next to me and clear hers going counter-clockwise. the server was very attentive thou. He came over and mad sure everything was okay and we didn’t need anything else. Our glasses were constantly being filled and the server made sure we had everything we needed for the next course between each course.
After the table was cleared we were presented with the dessert menu and asked if we would like coffee or tea. We ordered dessert and the presentation of the dessert plates were beautiful. I ordered the chocolate cake and after eating I thought, that had to be the most amazing dessert I have ever eaten. While eating our dessert the server came over and placed a champagne glass down and then came over and poured Moscato D’Asti. He explained it to be a dessert sparkling wine. After finishing dessert and the tables where cleared it was time to leave. As we walked out we were thanked for coming and told to come back soon.
In my opinion I thought the food was amazing and I would love to go back again. The service was attentive and the servers where always in visible places just incase they were ever needed. The ambiance was quiet, more professional and upscale. My experience was great and I would love to take my family and go back because the vibe was welcoming and everyone was very pleasant and the food was great. I would suggest this restaurant to others, I already have. I think they would enjoy the experience of dining there as much as I have.
The restaurant I had previously picked for my review was the Mohawk house. I think these two restaurant are similar because they both have pleasant staff. Both places have similar prices and their dishes are very unique. They are a little different in the sense that the Mohawk house does have more daring and unusual dishes. The review I red didn’t talk too much about the ambiance of the decor of the place, so I looked up pictures of it and the two restaurant are different. Il Capriccio is more of a romantic, very elegent looking restaurant while Mohawk house is more homey.
Eugene Herron
Table Service111-CIA 214- 1PM.-6:50PM
Instr. Mrs. M
February 14, 2011.
Restaurant Review: Tribeca Grill
Being one of the few people who do not frequent the luxuries and experiences of fine upscale dining, I had the pleasure of being introduced to the Tribeca Grill Restaurant. I must say my experience at this establishment was satisfying, enjoyable and will be remembered for a long time to come. In fact I feel it may have sparked an interest in my frequenting other establishments of Tribeca Grill’s caliber in the near future.
Our party was about twenty, and we all arrived at the same time to our reserved appointment. We were all greeted, checked our outer garments and seated in a timely and orderly manner. The atmosphere in the restaurant took away any tensions or uneasy feelings I had when I first entered the establishment. The décor of the floor we were on was not over decorated, which gave it a nice airy feeling. We sat at two tables with ten covers at each table. At first I thought there was not enough room at the table we were at, but it appeared the maitre d’ knew what he was doing; we all had ample space to enjoy our meal. And that is exactly what we did.
The menu was understandable, with a nice amount of selections, and the table wines were perfect. I choose for an appetizer the Roasted Baby Beet Salad with Fennel, Marcona Almonds, and Sherry Vinaigrette. For an entrée, the Herbed Roasted Chicken Breast with glazed Brussels sprouts, Carrots and Black Pepper Gravy. Although I felt the Brussels’ Sprouts could have been cooked a little longer to get the bitter taste out of the center, the meal and wine were outstanding, and tasty.
The wait staff served us in a timely and professional manner. Even though they were a little slow at crumbing the table between meals, they were pleasant, well groomed and were willing to answer any questions that were on our minds. And I liked the way the establishment showed their appreciation toward our party by sending us items to sample (different house desserts) free of charge.
To compare the Tribeca Grill Restaurant to the Saturne, in Paris, I would have to say they both have a lot in common. They both put some time and effort in the décor of their establishments, they both take pride in the meals they produce even if they are of different styles, they both want the most relaxing and satisfying experience for their patrons, they both thrive on top wines and they both put a lot of concentration into the different varieties of their desserts.
To reiterate, my experience at the Tribeca Grill Restaurant was so enjoyable, relaxing and satisfying that I will be treating myself more often to this relaxing and satisfying world of fine dining, and I suggest to anyone who has not experienced it yet, you need to try it at least once. I really believe that you will enjoy and try it again.
Upscale and Chicness With a Side of Oversight
Review for Tribeca Grill
By: Cynthia Soto
February 12th, 2011
As we all arrived to Tribeca Grill the friendly and warm greeting of the host made it feel as if we were regulars. Reservations were made by Mrs. M. for 1:30pm, however, we arrived a few minutes late and nonetheless we were greeted promptly and courteously. Our coats were checked and we were immediately seated. The server courteously pulled my chair so I may sit. There was a sense of professionalism and chicness that graced the air of Tribeca Grill.
All personnel looked groomed and well dressed with a hint of trendiness. The restaurant is upscale and accommodates business people, although professional, it still carried a calming a relaxed setting. I was truly impressed with the industrial décor. The bright red pipes that dressed the ceilings and the fun large bar in the middle of the restaurant gave the place a dramatic feeling of absolute New York style. There were business men sipping on fine wine as they discussed the next big thing. While the employees set up for an obvious huge event. Bottles after bottles of wine and Champaign crowded the bar as the bartender prepares for the event.
Servers were all in place prior to us being seated, waiting to accommodate us as needed. Our well groomed server greeted us as the host presented Mrs. M. with the selection of wines. There was a bit of confusion about the wines, the red was to be opened first to aromatize and then tasted by Mrs. M. but the white was to be consumed first. Not realizing the white wine was being drunk first, the Commis De Rang poured the red wine into Mrs. M. almost empty glass. The host quickly and quietly made gestures to him to stop pouring. The Commis De Rang had the right intension but the wrong timing. The water glasses were filled and warm bread was served immediately while the server or the Chef De Rang took our order. This is when the oversight began to happen.
The water glasses were filled from the left, should have been served from the right. The runners that were serving the breads reached over a few of my classmates sitting at the table and did not excuse themselves. This happened a lot through out the course of the meal. The table was consistently being monitored for bread and water, as many times as they refilled was almost as many times as they reached over us and served the water from the left. I must admit and give credit to diligence of the refilling of the wine. My wine glass was never empty and was always served from the right, but not everyone was as lucky as me. Some were being served from the left, again chicness with a side of oversight.
The server was very well educated with the menu; he knew exactly what ingredients the dishes had and his opinion was shared. Our first course was presented in a timely manner and it just looked divine. I had the elegant Red Wine Braised Octopus Carpaccio, it was presented as delicate as it tasted. I did notice that they made a mistake in giving Mrs. M. the wrong first course, we simply looked at each other and grinned with acknowledgment of the oversight. As soon as everyone was done with the first course the tables was cleared. And the same goes for the clearing of the plates, some cleared from the left and others cleared from the right, cleared from the right. The table was round and it might have seemed a little crowded and uncomfortable to work around but I think they were able to clear appropriately if they had proper training. Both the Chef De Rang and the Commis De Rang placed appropriate silverwares for our next course.
cont'
We seemed a little confused as to why they were setting a second fork down since we just used the salad fork, it wasbecause we were being accommodated with intermezzos. Complimentary family style dishes were served for all to enjoy. A delicious dish of sweet potato gnocchi’s served in a large bowl was set in the middle of the table filling the air with a decadent aroma which simply watered my mouth. Along was another large bowl with noodles and tender lamb with sweet figs. It was just amazing how the blends of ingredients and flavors burst into my mouth creating an array of senses leading to a warm feeling of satisfaction.
We are now ready for our third course. I ordered the beef entrée, medium-rare. I suppose I should have asked for it medium-well because it was a little to red for my liking, however, it still tasted wonderful. The combination of sweet and tart cranberries with the salty peanut gave the dish an exciting contrast. The wonderful colors brought life to the dishes allowing me to anticipate a flavorful dish. Cheese and pepper was offered during the main course and proper dressings were offered as well.
Lastly, all courses were served within reasonable time and everyone on the table was served at the same time, starting with the ladies first. The servers checked back with the tables frequently after every course and it was completely cleared and crumbed before dessert and coffee order was taken. Dessert was also served family style with an assortment of the houses best desserts. There was a colorful variety of sweetness displayed on the table ready to be enjoyed. The server took our coffee order and immediately after my cappuccino was served. Since we did not have after dinner drinks the end of our luncheon soon approached and we were ready to leave. I personally did not have anyone assist me with my chair as I was leaving but servers and the host was standing around the table thanking us and having small pleasant talk.
Ultimately I had a great experience at Tribeca Grill, even though there were a little oversights and minor wrong doings, this restaurant will remain to be one of the best rated restaurants. From a business event to a family gathering, Tribeca Grill will deliver amazing food and overall great service. You can expect me to return with some friends for a great dining experience and happily recommend to others.
Tribeca Grill
375 Greenwich St. at the corner of Franklin St., New York, NY 10013
Phone 212.941.3900
www.myriadrestaurantgroup.com/tribecagrill
One of my first thoughts upon learning that our class was going to the Tribeca Grill was how far would the walk be from the train station and how cold it would be outdoors. It was a beautiful winter day, not too windy and not too cold, a nice day for a walk with classmates. After a bit though, I was starting to wonder, Eugene said, "How much Further"?
I was happy to be able to raise my arm and point to the tall brick building less than 50 yards from us.
As we entered the restaurant the coat check the first thing I saw, Mrs. M and a few other classmates were a few steps ahead and had already checked.
I could not wait to get my coat off as looked around the restaurant. I looked up and I wondered when I would see the ceiling. Eventually once past the pipes dropped below in various colors I saw the ceiling. Very Nice. The high ceiling gave the restaurant and openess, the restaurant was not crowded or busy, but had it been, the ceiling would have made you forget about it.
Our host greeted us and showed us to our tables and our server arrived soon after. Bread (cold) and butter was placed on the table covered with a white cloth and properly set for dinner service with wine glasses. Mrs. M was shown a bottle of red wine to approve or not, I was later informed by Mrs. M that both the red and white wines should have been opened simultaneously. So much for procedure.
Our server arrived well groomed and dressed in a black shirt as were all the servers. He did introduce himself as our server but I cannot remember if he gave a name or not. He was polite and he was able to answer questions about the menu knowledgeably.
As our server left our table to place orders, we were given a brief history on a white wine "Jean Marie", named after one of the owners of the Tribeca Grill. Jean Marie, pronounced the American way. Interesting I thought.
Our servers arrived with an assortment of appetizers on large platters for all to enjoy. I really enjoyed the noodles and lamb that had a nice creamy sauce with it. These platters were removed and our utensils were replaced prior to the serving of our meals by at least 3 servers.
As far as I knew, everyone received what he or she had ordered. I know I did. I do wish that I had ordered the Chicken Breast instead of the Hangar Steak. It arrived cold, I wondered if it was supposed to be that way, I was tempted to return it but decided not to. I did not want to interfere with the service.
Servers passed dinner plates across me, to diners on my right side and as the afternoon progressed this continued.
Our table was at a window sorta between two corners and backed up against a wall, it was a tight fit. It reminded me of the day in class when I had a plate in each of my hands and didn't know what to do.
I enjoyed dining with my classmates somewhere other than the Institute dining room. I observed dinnerware being removed and replaced the wrong way but it really did not seem to matter. The graciousness of our host and servers compensated for the minute mistakes that were made, in my opinion.
The restaurant served us an array of fine desserts for us all to sample, however they neglected to supply serving utensils.
I would recommend the Tribeca Grill to others and I am more than likely to return when in the neighborhood.
Tribeca Grill
375 Greenwich St. NY, NY 10012
Review by Arnaldo Diaz
Will Tribeca Grill have what it takes to leave a lasting impression?
The restaurant is located in Manhattan on Greenwich St. in the Battery city area. The building looks like a warehouse and sits on a corner. There is nothing out front of the restaurant that seems to capture your attention to say “hey come right in”.
I believe that the main reason for the restaurants success lies within one of its owners. When having a name like Robert Dinero associated with an establishment, this alone can be very significant in the popularity and fame that is synonymous with the name.
My journey to Tribeca Grill begins when I picked up Anthony. Anthony and I decided to drive into the city to get the experience of driving. The remaining students and professor traveled using public transportation. The traveling time in the car was quite convenient. It took us about ten to fifteen minutes to reach Greenwich St.
Our reservation was scheduled for 1:30pm and we arrived a little after the agreed appointment. We entered the warehouse looking restaurant as a party of about 25 people. I was a little disappointed that we all were not welcomed as we were walking in. Also it felt like I walked into a line, which turned out to be the coat check. I guess taken a hard look on why the placed the coach there you found it was obviously out of convenience. I do wonder how they accommodate a party checking in against the traffic of those checking out.
We were led to our tabled and I noticed the Maître D approach my professor with the wine bottle that was previously ordered with making the reservation. I found this to be annoying only because she had not been seated and find dining etiquette says otherwise. They should have waited before introducing the bottle, but this can be due to the relationship between the professor and the restaurant over the past years. I still believe that we should all be treated like every time is the first time, no matter how comfortable you may feel with the returning customer.
At this point we were all seated and have occupied two tables of ten or more. We were then handed our own personalized menus catered for the occasion. The menu looked very delicious as I glanced while they poured water throughout the table.
Continued.............No it was time for wine service and the Maître D begins with the white wine taste for the host. The white wine was accepted with a head nod in agreement and he then proceeds to pour the lady’s first, as he should. There was a slip up on the wine serving after he presented the red so it can breathe on the table. The Maître D did not have the host taste all of the bottles being served to both tables. That was wrong only because one of the other bottles could have been bad.
We then order our three course meal. I decided on the octopus Carpaccio appetizer. For the entre I chose the steak hanger cooked medium. My octopus Carpaccio came out fairly quick along with everyone else’s appetizers. This was important because the restaurant seemed like there were not that many workers and all of the sudden became a well-orchestrated line of workers. They placed all appetizers simultaneously in front of each guest. As for the Carpaccio, it was delicious and I loved every aspect of it.
As I enjoyed my appetizer and waited for my table to be clear of the first course, I took the time to admire the restaurants décor. The room was filled with exposed brick walls and high ceilings. A massive bar occupied forty percent of the dining room space. The tables in the restaurant were set beautifully and easy to understand your placement.
The servers worked hard to keep up with the demand of a twenty person party. Their attire seemed neat and clean. They were very polite and prompt with service. They did slip up occasionally crossing in front of our party during different times of service.
When the entrée came I received my hanger steak cooked medium. The steak was cooked to perfection and the sides were out of this world. I ate slowly, in order to savor the moment longer. As I ate I noticed that the server was very attentive to both tables and our wine glasses remained topped at all times, along with the water. I believe timing is almost everything and for a party of twenty or more they were on time delivering all meals.
Dessert was next on the list and right before serving it family style; they offered coffee with our dessert. The desserts were wonderful and even though I would have preferred to eat my own I enjoyed sharing all the desserts that were offered to our tables.
Over all, I would recommend Tribeca Grill to anyone who may ask and I feel in some way it left a lasting impression or maybe it was just the great company of the professor and students that made it all a great memory. My comparison with the review of Lyons restaurant is a bit odd only because they focused their review on it surviving without a signature dish. I believe each establishment has a niche, and whether it’s a signature dish, ambiance or all around good food, it is up to the individual establishment to find its way.
On Monday February 7, 2011 my class had a field trip to Tribeca Grill on 375th Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10013, our Proffesor Siroun Meguerditchian had to call ahead for reservations. Once we had arrived to the restaurant the reservation was handled very well and we had an admirable host she was dressed nice and she greeted my class with a pleasant smile and a positive attitude it made me feel very welcomed, we also had to leave our coats with her. The atmosphere of the restaurant was very comfortable and personally I loved the chandelier, the color of the whole restaurant was very earthy and the bright lights made it look very alive. The clientele around us were dressed very professional and it wasn’t like a family restaurant with loud music and loud people it was very relaxed and laidback everyone seemed happy to be there even the workers.
We were seated as soon as our host took our coats and our server came to greet us as soon as we all sat down. Our server was very tidy and also had a positive attitude; I never saw the smile off his face. He was also dressed very well along with the other servers they all looked clean and very presentable. Our server asked us for our drinks and my table asked him for the types of non alcoholic drinks. I ordered lemonade it was a little sour but you can tell it was freshly squeezed. The bus boy came after our drinks were ordered to pour our water and served our bread. The bread was very hard, room temperature our butter was cold and my table never had a second round after asking for it. I was a little confused to which side they were serving our drinks’ and bread, the server used bad table manners and served the bread across from me onto the plate In my class we weren’t allowed to do that we are supposed to place the bread on the left side that the bread plate is on so we don’t have to go across our guest it isn’t very table edictally. Once the server came back he asked us for our complete order my table had a lot of questions about the food, my friend Tom asked our server for his opinion on the Scallop and said it was really small but suggested him to try the Red Wine Braised Octopus Carapaccio. I ordered the Ceaser Salad, in my opinion it didn’t taste like an actual Ceaser Salad it tasted like it didn’t have any garlic, cheese, it was very oily and the white anchovie wasn’t mixed into the dressing just placed on top of my salad but the brioche crouton was very tasty. The Ceaser salad my professor had done for us in class was actually better. My table also had some questions on the Entrees and the way our server described the Cuban sandwich made most of the people on my table change their mind on what they had originally picked. I ordered the Hanger Steak- with dried cherries, nuts and brussels sprout. The server took his time with my table and I did not feel rushed when ordering my food.
The Restaurant surprised my class with three Entrees Sweet Potato Gnocchi (fricassees of wild mushrooms, acorn squash & black truffles), Herb Pappardelle (braised lamb shank paprika onions, dates, confit tomatoes & almonds), and Herb Crusted Rack of Colorado Lamb (braised shoulder & spring onion spaetzle); our server explained to us every entrée and hoped we enjoyed our meal. They were so tasty and delicious I never tried any of these entrees and I was pleased to have the opportunity to do so. The food was delivered in a timely fashion and was served on my left side and all of our orders were served to the correct person. The presentation of my food was very attractive, the steak was cut up for me and served with a brown sauce, dried cherries, nuts, and brussel sprout. I never tried brussel sprout and for the first time I liked it. I enjoyed my entrée and ate the whole thing it was delicious.
When refilling our water the Chef de Commis said “excuse my reach” before crossing in front of me it was very polite of him and it made him look very sophisticated. My table was not offered any accompaniments such as pepper or cheese witch I felt would have made the dish better. My salad was removed with my salad fork and I used my entrée fork for our pasta, before my entrée came I was in the restroom and Tom told my server I was not done with my pasta and it was still there when I had returned so was my new entrée. Once I was done with my pasta my soiled plate was infront of me for a while until my water was replenished and then my soiled plate was removed and I did not receive a new fork for my new entrée. My server was very attentive, he came back in a timely manner to ask us how our food tasted. Yes my water was constantly refilled once it was empty or half way done. Denise and I were amazed how our server poured our water it was about ten inches away from the glass and he did not miss or make a mess. The table was completely cleared but was not crumbed before or after the desert came.
We had four different types of deserts and were served all at once in the middle of our table so we can grab the one we wanted. Our deserts were Ricotta Cheese Cake, Apple Turn Over, Banana Tart with caramelized bananas and Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake. They were all on a clean plate and some of them had ice cream. It was all very tempting, I was too full to actually finish my desert but I was able to have at least a bite of each one. Once our desserts arrived the server came back to ask us if everything was well and then offered us coffee or tea, I did not have either. Before leaving the premises the Chef Commis was standing by the door and he did not ask us to come back but we all thanked him anyways and told him we had a great time.
In my opinion the whole meal was amazingly delightful. The service was satisfactory even though certain things didn’t go as they should, all in all, it was satisfying and everyone was friendly, and the environment was inviting. I will definitely go back all the food was very amazing; especially the Sweet Potato Gnocchi, Hanger Steak, and the Chocolate Mousse Cake. I would suggest this restaurant to anyone who likes good food and I would recommend the pasta. I think anyone would like this restaurant and I was very pleased to be able to have this experience.
Upon our arrival we were promptly greeted at the door, the maitre d greeted us courteously and our coats were properly checked. Our reservation for one thirty was respected and we were seated, our host was very nice, and well dressed in casual business attire. He greeted us all at our tables and introduced himself and the restaurant. The style of the restaurant was a laid back business décor yet very classy, looking around the room you notice that a suit and tie is the general consensus.
Our server was a younger man neatly dressed, yet nervously twitchy. Our menus were laid out in front of us before our arrival and our drinks were ordered beforehand. The host recited and explained the menu, no other drinks were offered nor mentioned this was a missed opportunity to up sell any extra drinks to our party. Our appetizer order was taken promptly along with our entrée order, we were not rushed nor was there a long wait for our food.
Our host was very knowledgeable; he answered any questions we had about our food and wine. Bread and butter were served in the traditional Russian service, our B and B plates set in front of us with butter knives. Butter was served on the table for everyone to share a very modest portion for each side of the table.
Our wine was selected before hand, this meant that there was no real wine list. The host explained in a very detailed fashion where our wine came from and the type it is. A Chardonnay was chosen to start the meal, a crisp citrusy wine was a very nice compliment to a light salad. For our Entrée a bolder merlot was chosen, a great compliment to a full flavored course consisting of grilled hanger steak and bitter broccoli rabe.
The food order was taken correctly, and our menus were taken away by the server, ladies first then everyone else. The food was delivered in a timely manner and no one was handed a wrong dish. Our server attempted to remove the silverware from our tables, but forgot to bring some of the guests their silverware. Each course was served in a reasonable time frame and an amuse buche was brought to us between the appetizer and the entrée course. Water glasses and wine was not filled as often as they should have been, making the guests look for their server. The server was never too far away, although he was never completely with us. Our food was brought to us; he then waited a minute and checked to make sure everyone was pleased.
Tribeca Grill Restaurant Review
On March 16th, 2011 our class had a field trip to Tribeca Grill in NYC. The following is my review of the Restaurant.
Upon entering Tribeca I immediately noticed a placard notifying every guest that enters to the fact that they had received an “A” star rating for sanitation. This I feel is the most important item any restaurant can have. In a glass frame were also Editor Choice Awards for 2003 and 2006. For Tribeca though, unfortunately this is where most of the accolades end.
We were escorted to our table and my chair was right up against the window. To say I had limited seating space is an understatement. I had to sit with one leg off to the side of my chair at all times, alternating. Our table was greeted by the Ovie, who also gave a brief description of the wine. My apology if this wasn’t his name. It caught my ear that he seemed a bit nervous when greeting us because I thought he called us students from CIA. It is possible that he said CAI as is listed on our menu. What I found disturbing though is that he didn’t state that we were students from HCCC. It is my understanding that the last class visited Tribeca so it isn’t as if this was the first visit by the school.
If my memory serves me correctly, by all accounts the table was set properly with the exception of the bread and butter plate. There were eight of us seated at the table so this may have accounted for plates and glasses to be off line if the table was smaller than normal. There was a double liner on it.
Water was filled immediately, although the server had to switch hands at times in order to reach not just my glass but also Patrick’s who was to my right. I believe there was a side glass wall behind and to the side of Patrick that caused this difficulty. It took a while for bread to be offered to our table and it was only offered once. Disappointing as well was the fact that only one plate with two slices of butter was placed on the table.
Our orders were taken while wine was being poured. With the table where it was this wasn’t the easiest transaction. Ovie had to change hands at times when pouring the wine, once again due to our placement at the table. My appetizer was Braised Veal and Mushroom Terrine. This consisted of Violet Mustard, Black Truffle Vinaigrette and Raisin Walnut Bread. I found this to be a rather forgettable dish. The most impressive part of this was the Violet Mustard. Had there been more of it, it would have helped immensely. The veal didn’t have any taste to it whatsoever. As for the Raisin Walnut Bread, I can sum it up in three words. “Pepperidge Farms Remembers”. John W. had the same meal and our reactions were identical.
We were served a complimentary set of appetizers next. These were actually very good. The only draw back is that one or two were served without utensils. While the servers did return, either they ran out of forks and a spoon had to be used, or it was brought out by mistake. While it really didn’t matter what type of utensil was used for the dish, the fact that someone had to go back was yet something else added to the list of disappointments. I believe at this point more bread was finally offered and two full plates of butter added to the table. Water was continued to be replenished constantly as were bread.
Once the appetizers were finished the table was cleared and bread and butter plates were taken. I say taken because I still had bread on mine and I was never asked if I was finished. This happened to two other of my tablemates as well I believe. Servers did crumb the table so this was a positive, especially with the difficulty of getting to the entire table.
Before our entrées arrived we were give a very quick presentation and description of the red wine. I couldn’t hear what was said at the first table, but it seemed as though that table received a longer more detailed description. While John W. was given the first taste of the white, it was as if we were on our own with regards to being served wine. Once we were served, the glasses were not filled nearly as carefully as with the white.
My entrée was Herb Roasted Chicken Breast. It consisted of Glazed Brussels Sprouts, carrots and Black Pepper Gravy. The meal was good, but not exceptional. Had this meal been served at a lower rated restaurant, or one that didn’t come with much fan-fare, then maybe I would have a different outlook towards it. Perceived Value is a huge influence. The chicken had a nice flavor on the outside, but was very dry to me.
The desserts that were offered were great I will admit. Unfortunately coffee and or tea were never offered. I don’t know if this was due to the fact that many at the table were young or looked young. No matter the reason, it is unacceptable. I would be hard pressed to give Tribeca 5 out of 10. The only reason I would rate it that high would be due to the fact that I do not go out to eat at restaurants that often. I have been to three restaurants in the past year and two of them have been for Table Service classes.
With regards to reviewing this restaurant and our homework assignment in which we read a review and gave our opinion, I feel I was more detailed. That critic gave a negative review as have I. There are some similarities. While he didn’t care for any of the food, I found some bright moments, but also looked at some of it negatively. Neither of us was happy at all with the seating. We were both cramped and very uncomfortable. While I am not a critic by any means, and not putting myself on his level, I am sure we both found ourselves shaking our heads. His restaurant was an Italian one that couldn’t produce the simplest of meals, while mine is held with high regards yet; I would never entertain the thought of visiting it a second time.
Over the next few pages I will answer the questionnaire provided.
Zaneta Rusznica
Everyday, many people enter through many doors of many different restaurants. Every place has different things to offer to the public when people step through the door. Highlawn Pavilion that is located in West Orange, NJ is one of the nicest restaurants I have ever been in. The atmosphere was very welcoming and high end. The host that showed us the designated tables was very welcoming and was very polite. We had our reservations for 1:30PM and we were seated just on time. As we sat, the chairs were not pulled out for the ladies and our napkins were not placed on our laps. The only guy that was sitting at our table was nice enough to help with the chairs. The overall style of the restaurant is traditional European with an American flare. The dishes on the menu were very descriptive and the menu was very well organized. As we looked through the menu, the server introduced himself to us, and asked for out drink order, and another guy walked around and filled up our water glasses. As he came back with out beverages, he verbally presented the daily specials that the restaurant was offering. In addition, the server offered wine to those who could drink. The wine was chosen by our professor and was served to those who could drink. We were given a couple of minutes and we placed the order. The server did not walk around to each one of us to take our order; just stood by the end of the table and took our order. As we sat there and we talked, ate the bread that was on out table in a basket, the first course arrived. The server did not have a problem remembering which dish goes where. As we finished the first course, the server timed the second course just right because we did not have to rush, or even wait for a long period of time for our food to appear.
The presentation of the dishes was very clean, chic and neat. My salad was piled high with a very light dressing and very colorful. Very crisp lettuce, with julienne radishes and very light dressing. The main course was mushroom stuffed ravioli with grated Parmesan cheese in a mushroom demi glace. The demi glace was a little too salty for my personal taste, but the ravioli was cooked to perfection and the mushrooms were big pieces so you could actually see what they were. And dessert was a terrific ice cream Sunday. All of my courses were delightful and they smelled very good. When it comes to the condiments that should have been offered such as cheese, black cracked pepper and/or dressing, it was unfortunately not offered to us. When each course was finished, the server picked up our plated with the soiled silverware and it was replenished in no time. Although the food arrived on time, they actually did not refill our glasses as often as they should have. We actually waited a while for our server to actually refill it for a period of time. When it comes to wine, the server who served wine actually came up to our table and was being friendly with our table. It kind of made me feel like he stepped into his comfort zone for a short period of time and was not professional whatsoever. When it comes to being attentive and checking back at us after and during the courses, our server was right on it! It actually was not too much and it was not too little; although yes he forgot the water. After the second course, the table was completely cleared and than the dessert and coffee/tea was offered. When the coffee and tea came to our table, it was hot and all of the needed things for it such as sugar, milk, and lemon were presented. After dessert, the server did not offer any after dinner drinks, but he did thank us. Once we walked away from the table, there was no host at the stand to thank us and/or say goodbye to us when we were leaving. The experience would totally
Eva Zahorodny
11/26/13
CAI 214
Highlawn Pavilion Review
It was a rather cold and dreary day when my table service class visited the Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, NJ. Although it was raining on the way there, I was immediately transported into a warm and rustic place. When I walked in with my classmates it did not remind me of the everyday restaurant. The Highlawn Pavilion reminded me of a castle because it had a huge decorative stairwell and Italian chandeliers. As I approached the dining room, the sparkling showcase of wines and desserts impressed me. Also, I was able to see into the kitchen and the fires around which gave me a warm feeling. After everyone placed their coats in the closet, the reservation was immediately taken and we were lead into the dining room. The Highlawn Pavilion is a classic American restaurant with an upscale, yet rustic feel. The fancy curtains, high walls, and large curtains made it feel like I was in a royal palace. Not to mention the view was spectacular. Even though it was cloudy outside, I was able to see the beautiful woodlands of Essex County and the New York skyline. As I looked around the restaurant I noticed mostly businessmen and retired couples were eating near us. Our host greeted our class and professionally led us to the large table that had a great view of the outside. Our host was well groomed from top to bottom and spoke in a loud, clear voice. First, the host presented our teacher with the wines she selected and began to pour her sample. I noticed he did not wait for her to finish the sample, but he went on to serve the students who ordered the red and white wine. Then, the host gave us a verbal presentation of the non-alcoholic beverage menu because it was not presented on the print menu. Everyone’s drink order was taken and served properly about 10 minutes later. Before the entrées were ordered the host explained the lunch specials in detail. He also explained the soup and its preparation method. I was pleased that he did this because I did not want the soup if it was going to be a cream soup, but the host explained it was a puree instead. Since the Highlawn Pavilion is an upscale restaurant, the service is supposed to be relaxed, so there was a gap between when we ordered appetizers and entrees.
Restaurant review continued (Eva)- Before any of the food items were served, warm bread with butter were served on both tables. The bread was crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside. This is always a good beginning to any meal. For my appetizer I ordered the Puree of Mushroom soup. It was a warm and flavorful soup that was pleasing to my stomach. One minor fault of the server was that he did not offer me pepper. I would have not taken pepper in my soup, but it is a proper part of service. In addition, the soup was served in a spotless ceramic bowl. Lwanga, one of my classmates, ordered the French Onion Soup. I noticed the bowl was a bit burnt and crusted on the side. When presenting that type of soup it is hard to keep the bowl clean because there is melted cheese on top. On the other hand, expeditor could’ve done a better job of wiping the bowl with a wet side towel. While eating the appetizers I noticed there were spots on several pieces of the silverware. I was not the only one to notice this fault. There was definitely room for more polishing! The server removed the soiled appetizer plates away in a swift motion and then it was time for the entrees. I ordered the Mahi Mahi with Spanish red pepper sauce served with wild mushroom ragout, asparagus and spring peas.
The overall presentation of the dish was clean and beautiful. I was a bit disappointed with the fish itself. While the seasoning was perfect, the Mahi Mahi was unevenly cooked in some parts. In the beginning it was a bit dry and towards the end it was more flaky and tender. The sauce wonderfully complimented the fish. The vegetables were prepared and presented perfectly as well. The server came around and made sure everything was to our liking. One of my classmate’s saw that there was mushrooms in his risotto and could not eat that because he was allergic. He told the host and explained that the type of risotto was not specified on the menu. The host immediately apologized and was able to give him the same meal with a plain risotto within ten minutes. To me, that is a sign of great service. During the course of the meal, the water glass was refilled once or twice depending on how much was drunk. At the end of the dinner course, the server came around and said, “Pardon my reach.” and proceeded to crumb the table. He was very quick about this process, but he was reaching around me a bit too much. Everything was cleared off the table excluding the water glasses, which is what is supposed to happen in a fine dining establishment. Everyone ordered dessert and was presented with a dessert spoon. I ordered the Chocolate Tasting as my dessert because a classmate who had went on the trip previous to me said it was good, also I happen to be a chocolate lover. The presentation of the three desserts was quite grand. The plate was embellished in chocolate raspberry sauce and a swirl of vanilla cream. Each dessert was presented in a unique way. The dark chocolate ice cream was presented in a mini burnt sugar bowl, the chocolate pots de crème was served in a mini terrine, and the flourless chocolate cake was served on its own with gold shavings on top. I was stunned when I saw the gold shavings on top. Every part of the chocolate trio was beyond what I expected. I never had such an excellent chocolate dessert before coming to the Highlawn Pavilion. The dessert as a whole was a bit too rich, so I was not able to finish the whole thing. I see why everyone said to save room for dessert. It was definitely worth it! Those who ordered tea were given a wooden box to view the various Mighty Leaf teas to choose from. The coffee was properly served with spoons and underliners. I was impressed because the sugar cubes were put in little bowls even before coffee was served. Although no one ordered any alcoholic after dinner drinks, the host read them from the menu and Ms. M explained some of them. The host presented the check professionally to Ms. M and thanked us for coming for lunch. Our luncheon ended a little late, so we left once the check was paid. Unfortunately, the servers were not able to escort us out of our chairs. Upon leaving the restaurant the host warmly said “goodbye” and told us to come back soon.
Nicholas
Table Service 3
12/02/13
Restaurant Review
Highlawn Pavilion
On November 26, a group and I took a trip to the Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, NJ for lunch. As you drive up to the front of the restaurant, you get filled with excitement by how amazing the building looks. Since it is on the cliff side, you have a wonderful view of Manhattan, but on this day, the fog slightly covered the scene. From simply walking through the front doors you will be amazed by the stone walls and the see in kitchen. You will be able to see the stone ovens and cooks as you make your way to the dining area. Once you set foot in the dining room, you will be able to see all of Manhattan through floor to ceiling bay windows that surround the room.
After being seated you will be able to take in the decor. The room's decor is a rustic style; it is relaxing, has nice lighting but can use some updating. The style is appropriate but can be refreshed. The service was okay, but needed some work. There were many mistakes that would be considered as basic errors, which should not have happened. The server again and again would cross in front of a guest. When pouring the wine, the server started off properly, but ended badly by forgetting to pour wine to the host. The server was slightly laid back and could have worked more promptly. The orders were taken quickly and accurately without being rushed by the server.
Now it is time to get to the food. For an appetizer, I order the shellfish tray. It consisted of three oysters on the half shell, three shrimp, and half a crab leg with a vinegar and cocktail sauce, all over ice. The crab was the best I have tasted, it was fresh, flavorful and clean tasting. The oysters were medium size and lemon juice and the cocktail sauce highlighted the oysters’ freshness. The taste was clean and smooth, and smelled like a clean breeze. For the shrimp, the size was decent but otherwise, I did not care for it. The taste was something I was not used to.
For the entree, I ordered the lamb shank, a beautiful bone in piece of meat that was fork tender. It simply fell off the bone and I barely had to use my knife. The meat was juicy with a hint of rosemary. To high light the lamb, the dish was sided with a mushroom risotto and colorful root vegetables. The risotto was smooth, creamy and not over powered by the mushrooms. The vegetables gave a great texture and earthiness to the dish.
It is time to bring you to the dessert, which the Highlawn is known for. I chose to go with the grand chocolate tasting, which consisted of three separate desserts brought together as one. There was a flour less chocolate cake, a chocolate pot de crème and chocolate ice cream all garnished with 24 carat gold flacks and served with a chocolate raspberry sauce. The flour less cake was rich and smooth with a soft creamy texture. The ice cream had a nice shine, served at the right temperature and its small waffle bowl was the perfect crunch. The only disappointment was the chocolate crème. The texture was perfect, but the whole taste was wrong. I cannot even explain the taste, but it was completely unexpected. Yet, the cappuccino accompanied by the rock sugar stirrer was a delight.
To conclude, I would return to the restaurant and maybe try the dinner menu just to change it up. The food is good and the service is decent, a perfect place to have a relaxing time with someone or a group without going overboard. In addition, use must make a reservation, I was lucky enough to have one of the best to make the accommodations for the group I went with. I would definitely suggest this restaurant to anyone who would want to try a different scene or just want to have a good night out. You will be able to enjoy yourself with friends, scenery, and food to surround all sides of you.
Overall, my experience was pleasant, I had a wonderful time, but I was not blown away. From outside the restaurant to the dining room would give you two different feeling. The outside and the view had that wow factor but the decor was not to rave about. Otherwise, this is an experience that I would remember, especially the food and even more, the dessert.
In comparing the Highlawn Pavilion to the Lake Pavilion in Flushing Queens, I would give the Highlawn the same, two stars. Both restaurants have that wow factor from the outside and the view, but on the inside of the Lake Pavilion, its decor would leave you amazed, cloth covered chairs with bows and gold curtains. The servers are well dressed for both restaurant styles, white button down, black pants and a bow tie for the Highlawn and black suits and red bow ties for the Lake Pavilion. Each style has great tasting food and seasonal choices that show in their presentation. The atmosphere is relaxing and enjoyable for which ever restaurant and better with a group. You can happily return to either place with choices to choose from.
Post a Comment